Ask DS - Daycare

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Ask DS - Daycare

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu May 19, 2016 9:16 am

I know that I am going to upset some people with this thread. If so, get over it because apologies will not be forthcoming.

I am having issues with a new daycare. My little Angel started on Monday at a new daycare. I expect there to be an adjustment for everyone. However, since starting here:

She has come home with mud on her face twice (day 1 and day 2), and a bruise on her face once (yesterday).

We are supposed to get a written daily report of what all she does during the day. We have never gotten one, even after reminding them and asking for it.

The only time either of us has met her teacher was when I went there during my lunch hour specifically to meet with her to have a conversation. (yeah, we have to drop her off with another teacher before we go to work and pick her up from still another teacher when we get off from work. It makes me feel that my daughter is a football to them.) By the way, at the end of that day, there was a note telling us that her teacher would be leaving as of the 20th.

I assume that my daughter is doing art work during her time there because we have seen paint/marker/ink on her hands when I pick her up. Although, we've never seen any art work. In fact, aside from the note her teacher wrote on day one telling us how nice she is, we haven't had one single piece of paper from them.

I should get a phone call from them very shortly because she is not there. She cut her finger yesterday and we don't think they'd properly care for it, so she's at home with grandparents. (No, they have not yet impressed us.)

The main problem that we are having as parents is that we just don't know what is going on, and we are not getting the items promised in their handbook. Maybe I have been spoiled by the earlier daycare. Maybe I'm asking too much. Maybe we need to give it some more time for our little angel to adjust. I am going to have a "discussion" with them, but how serious of a discussion has not yet been determined. Maybe THEY are still working through things and making adjustments.

For those of you who have changed daycare providers in the past, how did you handle issues such as these, and what were the results? I really want to know. Thanks.
Nobody owes you anything.
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS - Daycare

Postby Hayes » Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 am

For what its worth.....

My wife and I (mainly her) has the hardest time making decisions when it comes to Daycare and Schools and we looked at what seemed like thousands. Have we ever been 100% satisified? No where close. What I have come to realize is that the workers are paid very little and to keep from having to offer medical insurance they have a morning and an afternoon staff to keep the hours worked down. There is constant turnover. We go through years where they teachers are great and others not so much. I learned to look around the dirt and bruises.

The main thing from reading your post is that they are doing what they told you they would and what is written in their policy and that would be a major problem for us as well. We typically get a note home at the end of each day telling us how many poops and pees and what she ate, how much she ate and if she was grumpy.

Not much help I know but good luck.

Is this your first child?
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 am

Hayes
Duck South Addict

Postby Hayes » Thu May 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Man, yall remind me so much of what we went through with our first which was only 4 short years ago.

Its very aggravating but it gets easier.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Thu May 19, 2016 5:38 pm

I think we have our kids at the same daycare...

I will tell you that we have been extremely happy with them. Anytime that we have had a concern we bring it to the attention of the director and it has been resolved or explained to our liking. As far as them rotating "teachers" it is a necessary evil. Drop off starts at 7 and pick up ends at 6. When I drop hunter off it is almost always in the room beside his and he knows the teachers name. When we pick him up he is in his room. Same with my 2 year old. Miss ann is always there when we drop off and not there when we pick up.

We have been through a teacher quitting once. We loved how she treated the kids so it was concerning but you have to understand these type jobs have turnover.

I would talk with the director about your concerns and see if they can't be fixed.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri May 20, 2016 7:22 am

Spoke with Shondra, the director, yesterday afternoon. She has impressed me from the beginning, the owners not so much. We will see what today brings.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Sat May 21, 2016 9:44 am

I agree with what was posted about the pay and turnover. My lil one is 3 and it seems when you get used to one great teacher they tend to move on. As for reports.... The one she attends is extremely attentive to that. Mine got notes a LOT about being bit, pushed, her biting etcetc. She had a love hate relationship with a lil boy there. Ha. Hang in there daycare is a great tool for them as far as learning to share, rules, etc. She is worlds ahead of some that stay with granny in communication and behavior. Now if they keep failing to do as their policy states then I would reasses the situation. But I personally didn't think it was a big deal with a little scrape here and there and the need to inform me of every fight she had with every kid unless it was a good one. The only complaint I would have is fundraisers etc at a private daycare. I feel we pay more than enough so don't expect extra for stuff I Beleive should be provided with monthly payment. All in all I think she is in a great one as far as attention is concerned.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Sat May 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Soapbox- change day cares and let the parents take care of her, the way it should be.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon May 23, 2016 9:49 am

Hey, we got some artwork! After 4 whole days of daycare and art activities, we got one (1) door hanger sign made out of puffy foam and glitter glue on animals. Umm. Yeah.
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 am

We are across the street from yall. While it's not perfect, we're happy.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:59 am

Find you a nanny to come to your house. Ask the kid doctors and nurses. Put the word out. Good honest folks out there. Both of mine stayed at home. And avoided all the daycare sickness and drama.
But the sickness caught up with them at pre-school, seemed like every two weeks,, FEVER!

Just look for references and have them checked out good. Any problems put them in the road.
Skip the small stuff,, as long as the kid is happy and safe is the big PIC. JMO.
I think I paid $75 a week salary! I still paid even tho the wife was out of school during the summer.
nanny would come a few hours a day just to get paid and the wife went shopping.

Can't beat that!
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon May 23, 2016 6:44 pm

The first year a kid is around other kids, wether it is 1 or 5yo, they get sick every 4 weeks. A 5yobcan handle it better but still sick. Also you want you child to be safe and happy. If that means you only get one piece of art a month then it's worth it. No where is perfect.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:18 am

rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Tue May 24, 2016 8:37 am

If the kid is mobile in any way just go ahead and expect to find a new bruise, bump, knot, scrape just about every day. If it's a boy definitely every day. If your kid is safe and enjoys going everyday that means a lot. Just simply tell the director your expectations were this, this, and this and they were not met. Get on the same page with what to expect and what they plan to deliver. Remember you guys and the kid are both adjusting to something new and anything new there are always some problems that popup at first.
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:42 am

Nobody is going to take as good a care of your child as mom and dad will, thats the way I have always looked at it..

Return to “General Discussion Forum”