Growing Watermelons

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Growing Watermelons

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon May 16, 2016 8:41 am

Any tips for growing watermelons?

any varieties that are better than the others?

picked up some seeds at the good ole Walmart that were the moon and stars variety.

Can different verities be planted together?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
mlj300
Veteran

Re: Growing Watermelons

Postby mlj300 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Different watermelon varieties can be planted side by side in the same patch. I like Jubilees, Congos, and Moon and Stars for red meated. The moon and stars are some of the best but they dont usually produce as many melons per a hill. Ive had poor luck with some of the other varieties i.e. Black Diamond, Charleston grays to name a couple. Sugar babys are also delicious and easy to grow. Tender sweet is the only yellow meated ones i have ever grown.

Till 13-13-13 into the soil before you make your hills. Come back and side dress the plants with ammonia nitrate once they put runners down. Make sure they get plenty of water early on.

I like to get them in the ground around the middle of April to get melons in July.
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus

Return to “General Discussion Forum”