Browning Maxus 3 1/2 inch

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Browning Maxus 3 1/2 inch

Postby Seymore » Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I have a 3 1/2 inch Maxus and want to put a 3 inch slug barrel on it for deer. The owner's manual says a 3 inch barrel can't fit on a 3 1/2 inch receiver. This made no sense and when I called the factory I asked why and they never would explain it. I have seen 3 slug barrels on 3 1/2 inch Gold. I had a slug barrel on a 3 1/2 inch x2 and x3. Went to local gun store and had a 3 1/2 inch and 3 inch barrel laid side by side. The only difference is a little stud on top of the 3 inch barrel on that section that slides into the receiver. It mates with a groove in the 3 inch receiver that is not on the 31/2 inch receiver. People at the store said that was a lawyer add on to keep idiots from loading 3 1/2 shells into a 3 inch barrel and receiver.

It appears all that would be needed to make a 3 inch slug barrel work on the 3 1/2 inch receiver would be to grind that stud off with a dremel tool. Anybody done it? Is there something I'm missing as to why this won't work. I'd hate to buy a $400 to $500 barrel and then screw it up due to ignorance.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”