New Compound Bow Recommendations

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
medic11
Veteran

New Compound Bow Recommendations

Postby medic11 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:42 pm

I quit bow hunting several years ago because it was so dang hot during bow season, now I'm out west and several areas are bow only. What's the best bang for the buck on bows these days ?
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Re: New Compound Bow Recommendations

Postby RebelYelp » Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 pm

what's your price range ? PSE has some phenomenal bows, especially without breaking the bank. I also sell Elite and would put them against any competitor as well. The biggest thing is shooting as many as you can, taking the pros and cons of each, then choose the one that "fits" you the best. Be glad to help any way I can.
Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Sun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm

I bought an Elite Hunter last summer after not bow hunting for about 6 years. I shot some before purchase and it was a sweet shooting rig. Good luck!
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 am

There are a lot of great bows on the market.

choose one of the following - Bowtech, Matthews, elite, Hoyt.

They are all good - just go shoot them and find one you like. I would definatly get one in the 70# range.

However - the way you set it up is much more important than the actual bow you buy.

your going to be hunting deer sized game and larger - so you need a heavy arrow. and a good penetrating (fixed blade) broad head.

I would look at some arrows in the 10+ GPI range with a good 125 grain or heavier broad head - like a slick Trick or VPA, or a good two blade.

you need to target an arrow in the 450 plus grain total weight. I would never shoot an arrow at an elk that was less than that weight.

Every shop I have been to in MS tries to sell light arrows, light broad heads, and fast set ups - this is not what you want for hunting big game....
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks Jim, picked up a new bow today. I'll definitely take your advice since you've walked the same trails I'll be hunting on.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Tue May 10, 2016 11:50 pm

I have a Switchback I bought brand new and have thought about replacing a time or two. I go shoot new bows every year and there just hasn't been anything since the Switchback that just grabs me to the point of replacing the Switchback. I'm not knocking the new stuff as there are some really good bows out there. You can look up the reviews and see there are a lot of folks who think it's the best made so far and until something really revolutionary comes along they ain't changing. If you don't mind buying used then look for a used Switchback or Switchback ET. They hold their value and you can expect to pay anywhere from $300-$500.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed May 11, 2016 7:02 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”