Parasites found on the river!!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:46 pm

Parasites, that's putting it very mildly. Webster defines a parasite as "something that exists by taking from or depending on
another". I never thought it could happen to me on such a big river, but it did. This past Sunday morning I found myself infested
with two boat loads of parasites. Parasitic hunters to be exact. While hunting alone, at about 7:00 am Sunday morning, I first saw
them. Two boats about 125 yards away, looking for a spot to hunt. I fired a shot to let them know I was in the hole. I blew and squawked on my call to let them know the area was occupied. I don't know if they saw it or not, but I even shined my spotlight on
them at 7:00 am. It worked, or so I had thought.

Being the most septic type of duck louse parasite found in the marsh, I should have known that I would soon hear from them again. Let me stress the phrase "HEAR from them again". Because hear them is exactly what I did. At about 7:30 am I heard the tell-tale slap of an "old-style" Flambeau hitting the water some 60 yards away. 60 YARDS AWAY!! THIS IS ENTIRELY TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!! These parasites have snuck in behind me. I heard another decoy splash the water, followed by another, then another. I asked out loud if they could get any closer.... No response. I heard what sounded like an endless amount of decoys being dumped from the bag onto the bottom of their
boat. I heard gun box lids slamming shut, I heard gear being dropped, I heard gear being set up, I heard boat Blinds being assembled for the first time on one of the boats. I heard their outboard motor crank no fewer than a dozen times during this process.
I asked if they were duck hunting or if they were putting out a hoop net to catch eel cats.... No response. I "heard" all of this
commotion for about 40 minutes.

At this point I have not fired a shot at a duck, and having heard plenty of other shooting from other holes in the area. But deep down inside, I just knew that I must be in the best spot on the entire river. Why else would these parasites want to inch their way up into my hole? I hadn't even seen many ducks using this vicinity before they showed up.

Disgusted, I continued to hunt. While the parasites were busy searching for the precise location for their twirllie bird, I managed to decoy a group of four Mallards. Splashed one drake, and regrettably I missed the double. My dog, "The Squealer" saved my dignity, by making a beautiful retrieve, barking all the way. With twirllie bird spinning fiercely in the middle of their decoy spread and boat blinds fully erect, the parasites were now hunting nearly an hour later after the infestation began. Finally I can have some peace an quite, at least for a few moments anyway...

My past experience with duck parasites in crowded public areas has not been so unpleasant. Most hunters who have approached my hole, have respected my presence, by not calling and by not shooting unless the ducks were in their faces. Returning the same courtesy, I have actually offered to share the hole rather than spoiling it for both of us. But not these parasites, these were a new strain. Resistant to modern concepts such as, courtesy and respect for others. These parasites were fixed on my proximity and were not going to yield.

Chapter two. The parasitic duck calling. I was so shocked to hear how well he could blow a call. Normally parasites are known for
their muted tones and squeaks and squawks. This guy actually sounded good, I just couldn't believe I had to hear it under these
conditions. And hear it I did, so much for my peace and quiet. He called, and called, and called, and called, and called, and
called, and called, and called, and called, and then in true parasitic form, he called some more. These parasites were determined to
call at every single duck that could be seen with the naked eye. I am even sure that they called at ducks that could only be seen
with the aid of telescopic equipment. To confirm this theory, I performed a test. During a brief period of silence, I started up on my call even though I had no duck in sight. Sure enough, the parasites joined right in, trying to blend into their surroundings.

But I was on to their little game now, and obviously the rest of this morning was going to become a full blown, Stuttgart style duck
calling contest.

Chapter three, the twirllie bird. Now I am not a huge fan of the twirllie bird. I don't own one, but I could spend the money on one. I hunt with people who use them and I've even used one myself. Personally, I just can't stand listening to them, and I think they are a lot of trouble to deal with.
My experience with them has been a toss up. Sometimes ducks will lock into them from miles away. Other times, they flare ducks. But the main thing I think they will do is to afford the hunter with very questionable, long shots every time. Just then, I saw a neat little group of Mallards dive bomb toward that twirllie bird. I must admit that I was now nervous that the rest of my morning would revolve around ducks decoying into their spread.

But as they say, what comes around goes around. It had to have been my AR style of calling that saved me. (at least that's how I am telling this story) I gave it my best series of comeback call. The parasites, not to be outdone, rang in with a hail volley of their own. Just when I thought I had been whipped, the ducks picked up and suddenly set their sights on my hole. Seven of them, I think it was that were now dropping into my hole. I shot the first Greenheaded duck that I saw and instinctively polished off the Sally he was traveling with. Feeling very full of myself after having slain the parasites' mighty robo-duck, I decided it was time they got theirs. It was at this point that I decided to exterminate the parasites. I am now 3/4th's of the way to the Mallard limit, despite their best efforts to sabotage my morning ritual.

If you have never met my dog, you just can't appreciate how much squealing and insane barking she make while retrieving a duck.
Imagine how obnoxious she can become if I don't give her the command to fetch up right away. No, this morning I decided to see just
how loud she could become. It took me two years to keep her from breaking, now I want to put her to the test. I am happy to announce that the squealer passed the test. After a full minute of extremely vocal self-control, I sent the squealer to go and collect her two prizes.

By 9:00 am I shot one last Greenhead, and my limit. No sense waiting on two "off" ducks that were not going to show up. It was time
that I had a word with them. I wanted to give them a piece of my mind. I had this whole speech prepared, saving just for this
occasion.

Chapter four, the confrontation. I picked up my dog ramp, cranked the motor and drove straight into their boat blinds. I would have given this speech had they not had a young boy present in their group. I am better than them and was not going to make an ass out of myself in front of a such a young and impressionable boy. Instead, I chose to be civilized. I asked the leader of their hunting party if they wanted to come and hunt in the hole with me? I said there was plenty of room and I sure could use a good caller like him to help me out. Maybe it was at this point when the parasites realized the error of their ways. They said they didn't know I was hunting there until they were completely set up. They said they had a blow out and were late getting to the spot. They said this whole area was lined with other hunters this morning.

Knowing none of this to be true, I said "is that a fact?" and went on to say that you never know what to expect if you set up too
close to someone. That person may not feel too happy to have you come in and set up so close. That person may not know what they are doing. That person may not care about the quality of their hunt, if it means they get to ruin your hunt. I told them I was could do some "shotgun" retriever training off of the front of my boat. I told them that I always wear a deer hunters orange safety vest while picking up my decoys. I said that I make as much noise as possible and wave that orange vest around when I see ducks in my area while picking up the decoys. Sometimes I even fire shots to celebrate a successful hunt, while picking up the decoys, especially when the ducks are
flying. You just never know what you may wind up with if you set up too close to someone. You just never know?

Parasites, you know who you are. Please don't do this again. And for the love of humanity, PLEASE don't teach your children that this is an acceptable method of hunting. We really don't need to promote this type of activity. I'll be polite at first. I may even ask you to come and join me. But I can promise you that if you don't listen and if you act a fool, I will screw up both of our hunts. I may even take your picture and post it on this web site for all to see who the parasites really are. I just feel like I need to warn others to steer clear of the likes of you. Please be courteous out there this year. Please don't make what looks like the beginning of a bad season even worse than it already is by setting up too close. Move on to a new spot, or get there before I do.

For those of you young enough to have to take hunter safety, you know what the sportsmen's pledge is. This particular parasite that I encountered this weekend, missed having to take hunter's safety by at least 15 years. Therefore he probably doesn't know what the first line of the hunter's pledge says. It reads as follows: As a true sportsman I realize my obligation to respect myself, those with whom I hunt and the game which I pursue. Let's all try to remember to live the sportsman's pledge this year. I'm sure that we'll all be better off this year.

For those of you who read down this far, thank you for you time. And remember, this is only my opinion. The names and places mentioned here have been changed to protect the innocent.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:32 am

Good God I have met those guys [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

It can really piss ya off can't it.

good post
4-EYED GADWALL
Veteran

Postby 4-EYED GADWALL » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:35 am

Wildfowler you are a better man than I am.

you got a lot more patience thats for sure.

Whats happen Duckmen!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Postby Bigpoppa » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:29 am

I have ran into worse. Try this on for size. True hard core professional parasites dont put out decoys. They get close enough to try to shoot ducks coming into your spread. This has actually happened to me.It ended with me leaving the hole to the mow-rons. I said nothing. You have to watch encountering a nut with a gun. I had a bad experience with a poacher when turkey hunting...but thats another story.
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

Postby Bigpoppa » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:33 am

Oh yeah, What river was it? Just curious.
Penn
Regular

Postby Penn » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:36 pm

Classic post for sure and you are to recognized for your patience, wit, and writing ability......
One cold snowy morning last year hunting Neosho WMA in Kansas, a hunting group came in so close and set up on me that I could hear the sound of his cigarette lighter when he lit up....i asked him to come just a lil closer to join our spreads.........awful...
russell
Regular

Postby russell » Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:18 pm

I think that was my ex wife's family. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:50 am

Xpress, I was on the Potomac this past Sunday. Oh wait a minute, I wasn't supposed to divulge that info on this forum. Please disregard.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:44 pm

Dang boy - you need to vent more often. By the way. The Potomac west of here is 9 feet higher than predicted...any birds in the hole ya think??? I am childless this weekend... call me later -
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Parasites found on the river!!

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:32 am

This was a fun time
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Your a very good story teller (which i consider a higher form of flattery since any fool can parse together correct grammar).
I didnt join this fireside society until 2008 therefore i missed a few of the early stories.
REPOST some more please.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:56 pm

Am I remembering this correctly?

A lot of us here have a join date of 2001. But I remember there being some sort of “platform” change and we all had to create a new member login as a result.

I can’t really remember when the original site came online?

Does anyone else remember when MS Ducks first launched. I’m thinking it was between 95-98.

If I’m remembering this correctly I think I joined in 1998? We need to do some sort of 25 year class reunion I guess? Assuming we survive corona virus.

This $#!+ is pissing me off badly and I don’t even have it. And while I’m thinking about it, can we please disable the curse word sensor?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 pm

MS Ducks was around at least in 1997. I was working for the same employer I do today. I guess that makes me a little old fashion for sticking with one job so long. I still have the same truck to. Ha! Crazy how times flies.
Scott Baker

Return to “General Discussion Forum”