Eliminating Smoke Odors

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Eliminating Smoke Odors

Postby Hayes » Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 am

I have a piece of rental property I am trying to get the smoke odor out of. I have read about these ozone machines that supposedly do the trick. By chance does anyone have one I can rent I will pay for shipping? Does anyone have any other ideas or experience with this?
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: Eliminating Smoke Odors

Postby donia » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 am

servepro. i don't know if bigbeeducker covers columbus or not, but he's an agent for them...he may only come down as far as aberdeen.

pm sent
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
pic-n-cut
Veteran

Postby pic-n-cut » Mon May 02, 2016 12:13 pm

I think you can rent one from Home depot tool rentals
OOOOooooooooooo--------#hit
rowltide

Postby rowltide » Mon May 02, 2016 11:09 pm

I manage 85 rental units and here is what we do that works:

Option 1
- Replace All Carpet and Clean Tile Floors
- Paint All Walls

Option 2
- Ozone Machine (Run In Every Room After Thorough Cleaning, Should Make House Smell Like "Outside After The Rain")
- Use A Professionals Machine.....
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Wed May 04, 2016 9:42 am

A hydroxyl ion machine and UV air duct treatment are a safer way to go. Cleaning, sealing, and painting surfaces as well as cleaning or replacing any textile materials will certainly help as well. You should minimize your exposure to ozone, which is toxic, as much as possible while running the machine and for a few days afterwards.
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Thu May 05, 2016 6:19 am

Dealt with this a couple years back in the context of selling a house. Ozone machines just created an acrid electric type smell. The way we dealt with it was to simply air the house out 2-3 days. Had a crew of realtors tour the home after the use of the ozone machine and they claimed they smelled residual smoke (personally think they smelled the ozone machines and associated that with smoke as they were non-smokers). After airing it out, there wasn't another comment about smoke smell.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am

friend of mine used white vinegar sprayed on the carpets, drapes and upholstery and says smell was eliminated within a week.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”