Duck Season Dates

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RNAIL
Veteran

Duck Season Dates

Postby RNAIL » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:59 am

Duck, merganser, and coot seasons will be November 25 - November 27, 2016; December 2 - December 4, 2016; and December 7, 2016 - January 29, 2017. The duck daily bag limit will be a total of six ducks, including no more than four mallards (no more than two of which may be females), three wood ducks, three scaup, two redheads, two pintails, two canvasbacks, 1 mottled duck, and 1 black duck. The merganser daily bag limit will be a total of five mergansers, only two of which may be hooded mergansers. Coots will have a 15 bird daily bag limit. The possession limit is three times the daily bag limit for ducks, mergansers, and coots. The youth waterfowl hunting days will be November 19, 2016 and February 4, 2017.
I'm Retired, leave me alone
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Duck Season Dates

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks for posing this
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I am humbled by your duck mojo. Thanks

The look on my bosses face when I give him my vacation dates this early, priceless. :lol:
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 am

How have they picked dates this early? I didn't think this got done until June or so?
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:57 am

It's usually closer to August it seems like. I'm kind of stunned myself.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:48 pm

I read somewhere about the change in how dates are set. If I understand correctly.. They now go off the preceding years numbers. Not sure if that means breeding pairs or what.. But by using that number they can enact season bag limits and dates earlier in the year..

In the past I was always looking for the May pond count numbers . Guess those don't matter now??
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:54 pm

“This new selection process uses the previous year’s breeding population and breeding habitat data to provide frameworks for hunting seasons,” said Houston Havens, the waterfowl program coordinator for the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. “This allows states to select migratory bird seasons when other hunting seasons are set, and to publish those seasons earlier in the year. Waterfowl breeding populations in 2015 were high, which will again result in a liberal season framework of 60 days with a six-duck daily bag limit.”
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”