Prince Dead!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Prince Dead!

Postby mossyisland » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:32 am

RIP

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: Prince Dead!

Postby eSJay » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:30 pm

I bet he's up there partying like it's 1999!
RIP
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:41 pm

So????? Everyone dies
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:33 am

three questions:

how many Prince fans do we have on the board?

Would anyone on the board consider Prince to be androgynous, and if so, how do you feel about that?
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:30 am

He was an innovator in the music industry. He wrote a LOT of smash hit songs for other people that most don't even know about. I don't think he was androgynous, but I do think he was a weird MF'er. Plus he used to bang Carmen Electra... so there's that. He was a great musician that could play EVERY instrument on all of his records. He was known for playing all of the instruments to dub in all of his songs on several of his records, no band needed. It is rare to find that kind of talent in any field. I also think it was interesting that he never moved out to LA or NY or another big entertainment city, but stayed in MN and gave a lot back to the community. There's something to be said for that.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:42 am

Growing up in the 80's, Prince was a pretty big deal. I can't say I was a superfan, but the music was still part of your life. Back then all we had was 94 TYX and if it was popular in pop they played it.

Chuckle12, I never knew until yesterday about all the songs he wrote for others. A lot of those were at the top of the music charts.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:06 pm

I know I had a cassette of his back in the 80s. My musical tastes have changed since then but I'm not offended if they happen to be playing one of his songs on the radio.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:42 pm

He was a weird dude, but I think more than anything, he simply marched to the tune of his own drum. For example, like someone said, living in MN...it was always an odd thing and he was always asked about it. It IS kinda odd, ya know, a black dude with shaved legs, wearing purple blouses, having a symbol for a name...living in MN...strange.

To be the musical genius that he was, you must be intelligent. Kind of the old, "book smart" scenario in regards to his weird-ness.

I have never been wild about his music, but he was a bad mofo when it comes to musical talent.

And I am sure many people have realized in the last 24 hours that the guy could absolutely, unequivocally destroy a guitar and any bystanders that got too close. He was a musical genius.

In a youtube video, back ion the 80's, James Brown invited M. Jackson on stage at his concert (Jackson and Prince were rivals at the time). Jackson comes up, sings a note ort 2, does the whole MJ thing and he says something to Brown. Thereafter, Brown announces that Prince is in the crowd and to come on up and do something.

Prince, clearly sch'mammered on various opiates/alcohol, comes up to the stage. He acts like he is as f'ed up as he is, but what I always thought was so cool, was he didn't do some dance or sing or something like MJ did- not at first.

The first thing he did was grab a guitar.

(Unfortunately the guitar was tuned differently or something and he could not follow up. Things slowly went downhill thereafter with guttural screams, guitar humping, etc. But in the end it was MJ who turned out to be the real freak-show.)
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah, dude could straight up shred a guitar.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Not a fan. Sucks though, but not any more or less than when anyone else dies. Everybody gotta go sometime, we can't control that, but we CAN control what happens after that.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:49 pm

It's something else when Eric Clapton was asked how it felt to be the greatest guitarist he replied, "I do not know. You would have to ask Prince." The dude was a musical genius and yeah, I was a fan back then.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”