Do You Agree or Disagree With Curt Schilling Firing?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Do You Agree or Disagree With Curt Schilling Firing?

Postby mossyisland » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 am

By now, you have probably heard what happened with Curt Schilling and ESPN. I am not asking if you agree with his post. I think 95% on this board agree with what he posted, but do you think it is wrong or right to fire somebody over what they post on their personal social media?

http://www.ducksouth.com/TheHotelBlind/do-you-agree/
420 racin
Veteran

Re: Do You Agree or Disagree With Curt Schilling Firing?

Postby 420 racin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:55 am

Well this is sort of along the same lines, similar lines, as the religious freedom discussion we were having. My stance is, yes they ESPN, should be able to fire him, for whatever reason they wish. As a business owner, whether it be my small business or ESPN, I should be able hire, fire, serve, or not serve anbody I want for any reason I want.

Now as a consumer, you/I have the choice whether or not to patronage that small business or ESPN, but it's their skin in the game, not mine. I already don't watch much TV, especially sports, which I love baseball just usually my TV is playing Mickey Mouse or Jake and the Neverland Pirates, etc.., but I know will not be watching ESPN if I can help it.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Disagree. He should be able to post what he wants in his personal social media. They can say that their policy is no political speech, but they let Steven A. Smith and Dan Le Batard get away with it.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 pm

420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:57 pm

I get all that, and he can post whatever he wants on his personal media, but they oughta be able to do whatever the hell they want, it's their business. Is it right to fire him, no, not by any means, should thy be allowed to do so...yeah, it's their business/company. I just think that a private business should be able to do whatever in the world they want to do..Fire someone cause they look goofy, queer, straight, black, white, red hair, left handed, etc.. etc.. Would it be "right" to do that..no....but should it be legal to that...I think so because it's the owner putting his neck and money on the line
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:26 pm

ESPN caved into political correctness when they gave the "It" Jenner the courage award. That was the biggest load of bs ever. Arthur Ashe probably rolled over in his grave on that one.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Never should be fired for that, all he did was comment on a PERV PIC someone else posted.
This is America,, how long till we are jailed for our public opinions or worse..
Exactly why the silent majority are tight lipped. And TRUMP has done so well. people are sick of this BS!
khound22
Veteran

Postby khound22 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm not an advocate of lawsuits but in this case, I would sue the ever living shaat out of ESPN. White conservatives have a target on their backs. We have got to start standing up for ourselves.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Veteran

Postby 1010 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:34 pm

davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 am

I don't agree with him on anything, because he's a liberal, it's clear he's a liberal, he's been pandering all this time, he's flip flopped and crawfished time and time again because he is not speaking from his heart, he has to assess his audience first, then remember what they want to hear before he says it. He's a liberal saying things he thinks conservatives want to hear. Thanks to him, we're getting Hillary.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:39 am

Of course I agree with him BEING ABLE TO BE fired by the employer for what he said on social media. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. People have filed wrongful termination suits against companies since social media was a thing, and they always lose. You can't go out and shout crazy polarizing stuff and your employer not be embarrassed to have you work for them. People saying "he can do whatever he wants in his private life" are half right. He should, but this wasn't what he did in his private life. He said it to the public. If he wants to say this stuff to people off the record or in his house, then fine. If they feel the actions of an employee reflect poorly on them, they have to right to dismiss you. Especially in public cases like this. Undoubtedly his contract would have a morality clause written in by ESPN. All networks have these so they can fire someone very quickly if they act like a fool.

Curt Shilling has to be one of the biggest idiots in the world. Retired extremely wealthy and has made a cascade of stupid mistakes. Blew his entire net worth on a failed video game, then hired by ESPN and continues to make public polarizing statements. Finally caught up with him and got canned. People who have no filter should stay as far away from social media as possible. When he posted that he knew it would offend people. What possible good could come of that post. What possible good could ever come from posting on Twitter etc... about anything other than "watch me on ESPN at 9pm". That should be the only thing anyone famous or mildly successful should post on social media. Just like the Chick-fil-a dude publicly coming out against gays. Why on earth would you do anything to risk the success of your business. In any public interview, his response to any question should have been "I love my customers, and our chicken is delicious." Every answer should be the exact same. Curt Shilling is too dumb to filter bad ideas, so his public statements should be the same. Reporter: "Curt, what do you think of muslims, transgenders, etc...?" Curt: "Watch me on ESPN tonight at 8pm talking baseball."

In case people haven't seen what he posted, this is the picture:
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:21 am

Why would you do anything to risk the success of your business?

Maybe standing by your beliefs means more than the success of your business. It has definitely hurt chik-fil-a in Brandon. The line was only wrapped around the store twice yesterday and nobody was having to wait outside :D Of course this was at 2pm.
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am

When the guy wore the cacausians shirt on Mike and Mike nothing happened. The issue is in America the left can get you fired if you don't agree with them...or sue you if you don't let them in. BUT you can do neither on the right... Its really ironic the people bitching and complaining for all these rights and fair and equal treatment are the ones who are screwing everybody else.
A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”