Nest Thermostat

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Nest Thermostat

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Who all uses a smart thermostat, Nest or any other brand? Has it saved you money and if so enough money to replace the cost of purchase. If you have another brand what made you choose it over Nest.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
regishay
Duck South Addict

Re: Nest Thermostat

Postby regishay » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:05 pm

I really havent calculated cost involved, but its nice to be able to monitor the temperature in my home. If we are on a trip and I decide to lower or raise the temp i can with phone. Just make sure if you have a older unit that its is compatible, and that you dont need to run an extra wire to power the wire less guage.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

SwampMan
Veteran

Postby SwampMan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:41 pm

I have one. Don't really notice any savings associated with it. Kinda cool, but other than that, no real opinion either way.
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:28 pm

I have a rental home, and it is nice to be able to monitor the a/c settings. When the renters ain't paying for it, they happily set the a/c at some crazy frostbite number. I just dial it back up on the phone. I lived in the house, and know that it is very cool when set at 70 degrees. Big brother is watching........
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Big brother watching the renters is interesting. I've never thought of that application. It's my opinion that there will not be a substantial energy savings if any. There will however be added convenience.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:43 pm

Well, I ended up going with a Honeywell 9000 wifi thermostat. It beat out the nest in my opinion by a long shot due to price. The nest was going to be 250 for a new generation 3, and the Honeywell was free. :D If nothing else, it will be nice to turn unit back on before arriving back home after trips.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”