Lawn mower trouble

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Lawn mower trouble

Postby landscaper » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:20 am

Just got my mower back from the shop and everything they put on it must have been made of gold, so I'm not too excited about the prospect of taking it back. Hoping y'all might have some ideas. The mower runs great but unless I let it idle for a while before mowing engaging the blades kills the engine. Similarly sometimes when cutting through a heavier patch of grass the engine will load up and nearly die. I thought this was probably a fuel demand problem caused by using gas with ethanol in it but after new lines and a tune up it seems to be worse. What do y'all think?
Veteran

Re: Lawn mower trouble

Postby 1010 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:16 am

Sounds like the float is trying to stick or is not opening like it should. I'd run some SeaFoam (local parts store) in the tank to see if that will clear up the sticky float or some what clogged power jet.

IF the tank and CARB is fairly clean it should improve, or it will break what's there free and it may stop up every thing to the point it won't run at all.
Or you could try running it like it is for awhile to see if it clears up on it's own. That is possible too.

I don't use ethanol ever at home. I even buy non-E even in my Tahoe. Stuff is horrible.

Hope you get it going man!!
Last edited by 1010 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:19 am

have had good luck with seafoam also
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:40 am

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:43 am

We've had this happen with ours. We get our gas delivered to the shop, and we had a bad batch of gas. We run all non-ethanol now, but I would get your gas tested. Our local NAPA store (same place we buy our mowers) will test it for us.

I would have your carburetor checked. Before we switched to non-ethanol gas we commonly had gunked up carbs after not being used as much in the winter. It'll run fine, get it under load and it dies / barely makes it through (same happens to weedeaters). Can't tell you how many carb rebuild kits we went through because the ethanol eats the seals. Finally we had enough and we had our own tanks brought to the shop.

If you do take it back to your repair man, tell him to make sure he doesn't just let it idle in the parking lot as that will do nothing. He needs to put it under load.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:57 am

Thanks. I bought the Seafoam but was cautioned against the same thing y'all said about loosening too much build up at once and loading the carburetor up with it so I decided against it. I was told I could "overdose" it with Stabil ethanol treatment and get the same effect but more gradually so I tried that. So far so good. Running like a top.
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Changing your plug helps too, they sale what the call a cold plug or hot plug,,the hot one help under load because their spark is stronger/
I'm Retired, leave me alone
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:14 am

landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 pm

RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:31 am

It could be any number of issues to be honest. I'd start with fire, then test the fuel system. Does it die when increasing throttle without the blades engaged or only when it is under a load ? Give me some more info on the engine and mower (make, model, sn).
Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 am

RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:59 am

Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”