Speck Decoys

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Speck Decoys

Postby eSJay » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Trying to “Build the Flock” as donia says and looking for opinions on which brands you like or dislike.

I currently have a 1/2 dozen Dakota full bodies that I’m pleased with, but recently ordered a 1/2 dozen Tanglefree full bodies which have not yet arrived. They looked decent online and were about $30 less than the Dakotas at the time I placed the order so I figured I’d try them out. I do like the one piece design that both those have. I also have 4 Higdon floaters that are pretty solid. Their slotted bag didn’t hold up though.

I’d like to end up with another dozen full bodies & a dozen shells, but at roughly $200 a pop for 6 full bodies, I’m having to do it in phases!

I like the GHG shell that comes with stakes, but haven’t been able to find anything to compare them with (that have stakes anyway) which leads to another question. Is it better to have shells on a stake for movemement or just sitting on the ground or does it even matter?

There are many different brands out there now and I know some have to be junk so just looking for some feedback on your preferences. Mainly which ones NOT to buy.
I’ve asked novacaine these questions several times, but can’t ever remember his answers & he can’t ever remember the ones he doesn’t like.....so maybe we can get it documented in this thread.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
levi127
Duck South Addict

Re: Speck Decoys

Postby levi127 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 pm

I've got a dozen cabela floater in specks I use every year. They have held up great over 2 seasons and left out all season long and they still look brand new. I believe I got them on sale for like 50.00 during off season couple years ago. Surprised at how many specks we started to kill in the field after I put them out. We can't call for crap on geese but they sure go straight to them.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:22 am

I don't recommend the Final Approach brand. They come with this Jacked Up leg retrofit plasticy thumb busting thing a ma jig ....
I like stakes instead of stands.............its less weight to tote and quicker. GHG are what i'm going with from now on.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:09 am

I'm using all tanglefree ... floaters, fullbody's and slammer socks. We use a combo of roughly 2-3 dozen per blind. I have no complaints on these after two years of use.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 pm

The Tanglefree's arrived today & I think they will be the ones I go with on future purchases. I was surprised that they cam with both bases & stakes & you are right Bill, the bases are much heavier than the stakes! Plus the bases never seem to fit well in my bag. For anyone looking to purchase these, the best price I found was directly from Tanglefree.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:12 am

Their after season sale prices are hard to beat, especially with free shipping right now.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 am

Know you said you are looking at 200ish price range, but if you haven't seen deception decoys then I would take a look even just to mix in later. By far the best looking decoys I have seen, and their turkey decoys rank up there with Dave Smith.

http://www.deceptionoutdoors.com/produc ... -six-pack/

I found some cabala's big foot specks for like 89.99 and got 2 dozen. They are okay for cheap decoys, and if they hold up like the chalk eyes then they will last forever. PS the feet are the exact bases like the big geese, and they are orange lots of orange. The feet weren't a problem when working geese.

We have gradually switched our decoys to tangle free. We put out around a 1,000 so when I mean gradual it's not like hey tomorrow we are using tangle free.
MSSpeck

Postby MSSpeck » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48 am

for price, and paint durability I would choose Tanglefree for FB Specks day in and day out. But the real key is that speck call!
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:46 am

Tanglefree.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”