Running jugs on the Rez

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Running jugs on the Rez

Postby pondman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm

All,

If this needs to be moved the fishing forum then so be it, but I know it will get more looks here. When I was a kid we used to run jugs all the time in farm ponds. I want take my son out and let him have the experience, but its hard to find a pond with catfish in it. I've heard several on here mention running jugs on the Rez. If anyone would be kind enough to share tips, techniques, other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. My time this Spring and early Summer will be limited due to tournament baseball, but I would like to have my act together once we have some weekends in July.

Thanks for the help.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
matador1
Duck South Addict

Re: Running jugs on the Rez

Postby matador1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:42 am

I've got two bags of noodles rigged up and ready to roll. You can borrow if you like. I'm boatless for another few weeks but when I have one me and Davis run them all the time. I like going out of Twin Harbor and heading north to the flats along the Natchez Trace. If I can get shad with my cast net, that is my go-to. If not, run by the old Macs grocery store in Ridgeland adn grab some chicken hearts and livers. Soak the hearts in the liver juice. Add garlic salt if you like. Easy adn effective.
You can go most anywhere on the Rez and catch them. Just depends on what landing is closest to you.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 am

Matador,

I appreciate the advice and suggestions. Once baseball is over with and we have some time, I may take you up on the offer. In the meantime, it sounds like I need to go buy a cast net.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
kevinw
Veteran

Postby kevinw » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:26 am

Rob, I usually go a couple times a year to Centennial Lake in Vicksburg. We use the swimming noodles and bait with chicken livers. Usually do the most good up in the woods. Can't tell you anything about the Rez.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

Anytime you get ready to go call me. I'll load up and bring the boat and we will fish till his little heart is content.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:51 am

Blake,

I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it. I will see what I can do about getting a castnet so we can get some bait. Does it have to be on a weekend or can you do it one afternoon during the week?

Kevin,

Good to hear from you. If I decide to go over to the west side of the state, I'll give you a shout.

Thanks,

Rob
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:19 am

madador1 please ck your pm
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:09 am

I have not done it on the Rez itself but have done it several times on the river. We would put in at Tommys and head north, find some shad with the cast net, then put the jugs out and enjoy. We always easily fill up a cooler.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:58 am

I'm off every weekend. Friday or Saturday nights are best for me. I can rake up crawfish and bait em with that or catch shad either way. I normally do pretty good on the crawfish.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff

Return to “General Discussion Forum”