Question For The Board

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Question For The Board

Postby mossyisland » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Guys, I am going to be writing a article in the next couple of weeks about duck hunting on a budget. I know it sounds like some kind of HGTV decorating on a budget blog post, but I want to know some crazy things you have done in the past when money was tight to kill ducks. What kind of things you ask? Things you did or built instead of buying the next high dollar gadget or piece of equipment and it produced great results. I will use the best ideas in the article and you will receive full credit for that idea.

Example from myself: I used to build a blind that cost hardly nothing to hunt fields and the setup and takedown time was minutes. I still use it today on hard to kill field ducks. It pretty much replaced skid blinds for me and I can use it when layouts are not a option. I will probably tell about how to build and use this.

If you have one, pm me or email me at rocky@ducksouth.com.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Question For The Board

Postby teul2 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:50 pm

home made mallard machines out of old trolling motors and EMT conduit comes to mind.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 am

Have painted two liter soda bottles green on one end and tan on the other and used them to beef up a decoy spread. Seems to work just fine too.

Have used large nails and hex nuts in place of decoy weights.

Didn't build it myself but the first spinning wing decoy I ever saw was a diamond shaped piece of plastic painted white on one side and black on the other attached to a piece of a coat hanger that was spun by an RC car motor. Ducks loved it.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:32 am

zip tie different colors of Wal-Mart raffia grass to bungee cords, wrap a couple of these around an old hunt test holding blind, and you have a portable blind that weighs very little, cost less than a $60, lasts decades, and will let you blend in most anywhere other than fresh plowed ground. Saves a ton on building/buying skids or making tree blinds.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
dawg-n-duck
Duck South Addict

Postby dawg-n-duck » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:28 pm

POACH :D :D
Happy Happy Happy
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Borrowed a boat and trailer with no motor, and thought it would be quicker to pull it by hand down the railroad tracks than paddling. Boat got hit by a train, but it was a good idea and free at the time.

Moral of the post is to get a buddy that already has everything. Hunt with him or borrow his stuff.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
.tadpole
Veteran

Postby .tadpole » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Started hunting from the slough bank. When old enough to use waders I used my dad's size 7. I used those waders until my mother bought me pair at Service Merchandise 39.95 size 12. For about 4 years I was stuffing a 12 into a 7.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:06 am

There will be a day....
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:37 am

Less is best. The older I get, the less I take to a blind. Bare basics - decoys, calls, Gun, jacket, dog.

Internet makes it easy - google earth, scouting reports, directions, cheap hotel rates, draws, permits and licenses, and with all of the forums, Internet companies and everything else, places like Facebook can be a great resource for finding cheap equipment etc

Travel. I'm biased, but for folks that have limited time (And after 15 years in the business I'll say that for most of our clients time is a more limiting factor than money), sting a few counties or states over to hunt public when the birds are there, or even doing affordable pay hunts with the right outfitters can put hunters money and ducks ahead. Their leases, equipment, resources etc.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:23 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”