Mallard Hen Nesting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ScottBrown
Veteran

Mallard Hen Nesting

Postby ScottBrown » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:42 am

My wife was working in the flowerbed last week and she told me something was making a nest behind some shrubs, so I go look and it is a duck nest. AWSOME. There is a pond across the street from our house and mallards are always on it so this is not a huge surprise.

She has been on the nest in the mornings but not in the afternoons, so I don't think she has laid yet. Any suggestions on how I can contribute to a successful hatch?
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Re: Mallard Hen Nesting

Postby champcaller » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:05 am

Just hope you don't have many coons or foxes around and hopefully they'll make it!

Gotta love a successful clutch.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 am

If she's there in the morning and not in the afternoon, she has probably started laying. When laying, they don't sit all day, and mostly lay their eggs in the morning. Like TJ said, predators will most likely be your worst problem. Not just coons, but dogs and cats too since you're in a neighborhood. Set some live traps if you can but be prepared for when you catch Garfield. He will be the most pissed off thing you've ever seen in your life.
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:14 pm

We put some water out for her since the pond is on the other side of the street. Have you ever tried to keep enough water out for a duck? They go through it. Put some corn out so she can have something to eat but she has not been eating it like I thought she would.

The cats, dogs, and coons is what I am mainly concerned with. I thought about some 4ft chicken wire around the area to deter them but I don't think it would keep them out?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:47 pm

I am not saying this is the solution, but really posing it as a question.

You always see people putting out mallard nests like this one. Could you loop some chicken wire over the nest to help give her cover like these create?

It may disturb her and prevent her from coming back. Not sure. But seems like it would give her more of a chance.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:06 pm

The corn will probably attract coons and other predators?

The water sounds like a good idea though
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:16 pm

Leaving her be is the best solution. I wouldn't put corn as it will attract other things a momma duck doesn't want around - she needs proteins now anyway. If you must and she doesn't have much cover, put some straw by her nest and let her build it up because a duck won't bring anything to a nest to build like other birds. Only what she can reach.

Patrick is right. Cats, feral in particular are bad (even in the duck factory) on nest success, but most people frown upon cat trapping. lol
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”