Arkansas WMA's and OOSers

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Arkansas WMA's and OOSers

Postby Don Miller » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 pm

Has anyone seen the proposed ban or at least limited use by out of state hunters on Arkansas WMA's? :shock: I predict a lively debate between the locals and out of staters on this one. :lol:
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
deerhunt1988
Regular

Re: Arkansas WMA's and OOSers

Postby deerhunt1988 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:49 am

Interesting. Got a link?
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:11 am

If they do that we should not let them come turkey hunting. :mrgreen:
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:15 am

They would lose way too much money. It will never happen.
A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am

Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 am

Don't have the link but the article was in last Sunday's Outdoor section of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 am

Last duck season in our two most popular wildlife management areas was fun, but the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission wants to make it better.

To that end, the commission is considering new regulations, including some that are surprisingly progressive.

In review, the commission addressed unsafe boating behavior at Bayou Meto Wildlife Management Area last year with a simple solution. The commission installed metal gates at the major accesses that permit only one boat to enter the navigation ditches at a time. That eliminated the infamous NASCAR starts where dozens of boats roared down the canals at once.

It was so successful that the AGFC will install similar gates this year at Dave Donaldson Black River WMA.

The commission also beefed up boating regulations in its WMAs that carry stiff penalties for violators, including one-year bans from the WMA where the violations occurred for violators. The AGFC secured two convictions last year.

Capt. Tim Montgomery, the AGFC's enforcement supervisor in southeast Arkansas, said he noticed a distinct shift in demographics among hunters at Bayou Meto last year.

"For the first time, I saw fathers taking young sons and daughters hunting," Montgomery said. "In the past, we saw boats full of college-age people."

Montgomery said hunters went out of their way to thank him on behalf of the AGFC for creating a safer, more wholesome hunting experience.

For 2016-2017, the commission is considering a regulation to ban all mechanical decoys from WMAs. That will exclude everything except inert decoys and jerk strings.

Another regulation will require everyone to be off a green-tree reservoir WMA no later than noon. That will prevent hunters from disturbing ducks by running boats through the woods while scouting.

Boaters in navigation ditches might also be required to maintain a minimum distance of 100 feet between boats instead of the current 50-foot requirement.

Tighter regulations at Bayou Meto WMA shifted hunting pressure to other WMAs, especially to Dave Donaldson WMA. Consequently, the same problems that plagued Bayou Meto for decades are becoming prevalent elsewhere. For years, hunters around the state have complained that non-resident duck hunters are the main cause of overcrowding and associated conflicts on WMAs.

Many non-residents set up shop near the WMAs and hunt the entire 60-day season. Many have found creative ways to guide on the WMAs, which is illegal, with virtually no risk of being caught. It's an open secret, and I've heard non-residents and residents alike brag about it at a popular gathering spot in Stuttgart.

Excessive hunting pressure and an excessive human presence in the woods is incompatible with an area's ability to attract and hold ducks. That is why private land managers limit hunting pressure by prohibiting hunting after certain hours, and that is also why hunting on those areas remains good longer than it does on WMAs.

To improve the hunting atmosphere and to improve habitat conditions, the commission is examining ways to equitably distribute hunting pressure on green-tree reservoir WMAs. That might include a controlled hunt permit system in which non-residents purchase a non-resident license or permit to hunt a specific area only for a block of successive days.

Another topic that gets mentioned is limiting the size shotshell that hunters may use on WMAs during duck season. Hunters using 12-gauge shotguns might be limited to 2 3/4-inch shells, or 3-inch for 20-gauge.

If you call ducks down below the treetops in flooded timber, shots are very close, and there's no demonstrable need for the firepower of a 3-inch, 12-gauge shell.

That wasn't the case in the 1980s and early 1990s when steel shot technology was primitive, but modern steel shot, with its better propellants and wads, is so good that 2 3/4-inch shells should be sufficient for all green timber hunting.

That, along with a 15-shell limit, would effectively end the practice of shooting at ducks above the treetops and eliminate complaints about hunters shooting at ducks that are working another hunter's calls and decoys.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 am

H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:23 am

I really don't see it passing. I could be very wrong. I will say this, the day it passes our state needs to stand behind us and put restrictions on our turkey and crappie!

If this does pass, I can't imagine what wit will do to the price of a lease over there.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 am

lease prices will go up because they are going to limit out of state hunters on public land not private land
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:24 am

Game and fish already banned spinners on two WMA'S there. 2 3/4 shell limit is stupid. You will never get rid of tree topping or sky busting and I mean never. Duck hunting is a jealous hobby (it's not a sport). Let's think of all the hotels / motels that make money from these crowed wma's, mack's would have one hail of a say when business dropped because of oosers, groceries stores, gas stations and restaurant's. Arkansas made it this way. When you have one of the greatest attractions for waterfowl hunting in the world and they promoted it. Now everyone with a boat and duck call think they can jump by any tree, call like hell and kill ducks. Arkansas made the bed now they are trying to fix it. You cannot fix people that do not use common sense while hunting. It's the same crap at every WMA!!! Until people can function with out trying to race to duck holes, without trying to tommy top (how many you kill 5, and you 55) or hole ride so the other guy won't kill them (well if I'm not killing then they aren't killing either.) It's all about look at me, look what I did.

There is only one way to regulate people, and I am not for it. You can guess what it is.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 am

I wish all MS flyway state would permanently ban spinning wing decoys.

I also say if they pull this, we need to restrict their access to turkey hunting in the state. If Arkansas does successfully limit the days OOS'ers can hunt, you cant bet the farm MS public land will feel the wrath of Alabama, Georgia, and Carolina hunters. Even though MS duck hunting is terrible and Arkansas is the Mecca, we will see some pressure.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 am

Correct! This directly effects Mississippi WMA's and NWR if there is a ban or limited access on AR WMAs. These ARE NOT OOS lease holders. These are public land hunters that won't have a place to hunt and also won't have as far in most cases to look for new public land to hunt in MS. This is a serious situation and one that concerns me for the sake of MS public duck hunting.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:20 am

It is not rocket science, but managing the resource might be. Think of it like a pond. You own this pond, and it's loaded with fish. You let people fish for free, but then you have to many people. You start charging those people, and now the word is out. The pond is loaded with people, but the fish are getting hammered also!! Now you have people getting there at day light, running to the best spot, fighting each other over who got there 1st, casting on top of each other. Turns into a really big mess, and now you are tired of all the hassle, but you still want the money. You put a limit on how many can fish. Where do you think all the people go that didn't get a ticket? They go to another pond.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:29 am

Therein lies the problem. MIssissippi's WMAs and NWRs are the other pond that you speak of.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”