Firearms Bill of Sale

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Firearms Bill of Sale

Postby duramax » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:18 am

I've never done a bill of sale when I've sold any of my guns private party. However, recent events have made me wish I did. I had 2 SWAT officers come to my door the other day and asked about an AR15 I had purchased 4 years ago. I had sold it about 2 years ago to some guy thru Armslist. Turns out it was involved in a crime in TN (not a murder thankfully). All I had was the email conversation saved in my gmail which only had his email address and not his full name. All I could do was forward that to the detective involved in the case. I have no idea whether he was involved in the crime, or whether he had sold it recently. I haven't heard anything back on the matter from law enforcement, but it made me realize that a bill of sale is a good thing to CYA just in case.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: Firearms Bill of Sale

Postby eSJay » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Good idea, but my method works flawlessly.
Only buy guns, never sell.
I know it's not practical for everyone.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm thinking that in today's environment I'm not going to sell a gun I have to someone I don't know unless it gets transferred via a local FFL.

That's pretty scary stuff.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Anything that shows your information, buyer's information, and item being purchased is all you need. Include both driver's license and what state and serial number/s of items being purchased.

I'm the same way, buy only. I'm 35 and sold 2 guns in my lifetime. Both to members on Ducksouth. I bought one back and trying my hardest to buy the other so I can officially say I've never sold a gun in my life.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Many people think there is a gun registration, but that is not true.. The Serial number is traced from the Manufacturer to the distributer to the FFL Dealer that you bought the gun from.. As long as you have documentation that you sold it then, they go on to the next person in the chain..Most chains are broken in private party sales.. Many people that sell to individuals are now doing a bill of sale and are asking for DL for their records are wanting to see a copy of their firearms permit to know they are legal to own firearms..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:49 am

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:10 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Ain't nobody that doesn't have a ffl seeing, much less copying my dl
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am

I am on the same page as eSJay. But, i have sold 2 guns. One to chuckle on here (I still want to buy that ole 870 back dude), and a pistol I won in a raffle so I could upgrade a little. When I sold that pistol, the gentleman wanted to do a bill of sale. I agreed. he told me why he wanted to and it made a lot of sense.

He had purchased a gun from a "friend" a few years back. With in a month, the "friend" reported the gun stolen, and told the sheriff what he knew who stole it. Sheriff and "friend" showed up at the guys house and took the gun back. There was no record of the transaction but even the sheriff admitted that he thought it was fishy. The man argued but the sheriff's hands were tied. He lost the gun and purchase price. So we both signed a piece of paper listing our names, date, make, model, and serial of the gun.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”