Cattle Questions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
strutter
Regular

Cattle Questions

Postby strutter » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Who here raises cattle. I have good bit of family land that is already fenced and has had cattle on it before. I am thinking about getting a few cows for me and my kids to raise. Any advice??
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Cattle Questions

Postby MudHog » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:27 pm

If your planning to sell at the sale barn, Angus has the highest prices. Sell at around 800 lbs to get the best return. You will get more per pound at a smaller weight, but your check will be smaller.

You can either do commercial cattle or registered cattle and either sale barn or private sale.

Do you have a tractor, what would be your plans for Winter feeding (hay). You can either bale your own or buy. Round bales are around $25/bale here and square bales are around $5/bale. Do you have water on the property?
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Here's a little video in the grazing/management strategy we are utilizing in Yazoo County.

If your kids are involved definitely get them in 4H. Incredible learning opportunity.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:53 pm

I've got some cattleman blood in me from a couple generations back. I've spent hours reading about and watching YouTube vids about mob grazing and the soil impacts. I'd love to give it a shot one day, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point.

Look for videos from Gene Sollock. He's another guy that has mastered this. Lots of Gabe Brown vids online too.

Cool to see someone doing it in the Sip! Thanks for posting that, Dan!
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:37 pm

That's good stuff Dan!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:47 am

My mom's side of the family are cattle ranchers. I grew up working cattle on horseback all summer and moving on/off rye grass in the winter months. That's a great video. Major change to the old way of doing things.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:28 pm

In the early 1980's I worked with a guy in Yazoo county who started this philosophy of intensive grazing. He learned it from New Zealand. Everyone thought he was crazy. I knew after two years he was on to something. It is amazing what clover and vetch will do to restore the health of your soil if your will quit putting out synthetic fertilizer. The folks at MS Chemical weren't too enthused with the idea.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:42 pm

One thing to consider if you've never owned cattle. They are living, breathing animals that need feed and water everyday just like a family pet. When it's raining like it has been the last couple of days, do you want to be out there feeding, putting out hay, trying to save a baby calf potentially? Going by there pretty much everyday to check on them, whether you had plans or not. Or do you mind getting a call before your going to go out on the lake saying that your cattle are out of the fence..... Woops no more lake time today.

Not trying to run you down or the cattle business down, but if your going to truly run it as a business, or even if you're not, then the questions above are really something to consider. I grew up with both sides of my family in the cattle business, and at times it's a great business and fun to be in, but it does take more commitment than some folks think. If your ready to sacrifice some of your leisure time for some big animals that you will wind up cussing half the time then I say go for it. If your weekends are already filled up with the lake, travel ball, hunting, etc, then you may want to reconsider. If not then your about to go on an adventure that will teach your kids about responsibility, hard work, rewards for their effort, and life experiences they won't learn in school.

Also, you will probably at minimum need access to a tractor to feed hay with, you will need to buy hay, figure 2-3 bales per head per year depending on your grazing program. It's SLOW turn around on your money. Sound like your not looking at more than a few head.... Don't let some guy talk you into hay equipment. Every situation is different but most years it's cheaper to buy it than to raise it. Don't buy heifers if you haven't ever done it and can't check them regularly.

Side note.... I don't currently own any cattle. We sold all of ours four years ago, but starting to miss it and wanting to buy some more. We still have most of the hay equipment and feeders, but still not sure it's worth it to jump back in right now.
work hard, play hard
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:57 pm

Dad raised them as a side line while I was growing up, which meant they were a part of my daily chorses too.

They're a PiTA. They're not quite as bad about getting out of fences as goats, but they're not far from it. You'll spend your spare time checking / mending fences, worming them, helping deliver calves, chasing down that bull that keeps finding a way to get through your fence, etc.. You can make some money with it, but they're kind of expensive to keep up between purchase and sale.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:44 pm

farmboy
Regular

Postby farmboy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:58 am

https://www.stockmangrassfarmer.com This will take you to a site that is food for thought it's not main stream but does have some good info along with a lot of bull no pun intended what the others have said is on target if you have cows there is always something you need to do.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:11 am

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
britton
Regular

Postby britton » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 am

What's the average price per acre to lease pasture?
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 pm

$10-30 per acre in most places
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”