Generator vs. Solar ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Generator vs. Solar ?

Postby landscaper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:39 am

I'm about to build a small shed/barn and I want to be able to run a couple fluorescent fixtures and 4-6 110 outlets for battery chargers and what not. I need opinions on best options and most bang for the buck on running power from the house (about 400' underground) vs a portable propane generator vs a small solar kit. I'm clueless.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Re: Generator vs. Solar ?

Postby levi127 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:20 am

Get generator and propane for the most bang for you buck I'd say.

Send me a message and I'll be happy to help you out on it all also. I'm with suburban propane and can help you out!
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:02 pm

Just for rough calcs, you'd be looking at a 12kw generator factoring 6-15A recepticles and 1-20A light circuit. This would be 110v only too.

The problem with solar is that you'd only have power during the day and would have no power at night. The problem with generator, is if you run out of fuel, you run out of power. Plus you have to run the generator and maintain it. Do you have overhead or underground service to the house? I would check with the electric company to see what your options are for them to bring power to the shop. You would be really surprised as to the cost to make your own power compared to the price power companies charge.

400ft is pretty far, but not impossible. Ideally, the shop would get a separate service from the house so that the line voltage can be higher to feed the shop. The problem with pulling power from the house is the house is already on low voltage on the downside of the transformer. The higher voltage on the grid will travel further with a smaller size wire compared to the lower voltage from the house.

From a generator perspective, a diesel generator turning 1800rpm would be your most economical. LP does not have the same amount of BTU as diesel, so an LP engine would consume more LP for the same amount of power produced by a diesel engine. Yes, LP is cheaper, but you can go refill a diesel can much easier than going fill or swap an LP bottle and your consuming more LP. LP generators turn at 3600rpm too by the way.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:11 pm

^^^says the man who knows of what he speaks!!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”