Gun Safe

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
turkeyman
Duck South Addict

Re: Gun Safe

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 pm

If it's $900, it's a $900 safe no matter the brand. Like others were saying....the materials make a gun safe. If the price is low, you can bet it doesn't have the same layers of fire protection and such as a $2500 safe. Some just want a safe to keep joe blow from walking in their house and walking out with guns without ever checking up. That safe would be fine for that. If you are hoping to have half a chance of saving some guns in case of a fire, you need to spend the extra money. I've seen pictures of numerous safes after fires, where the guns were spared.

Just like the Samsung tv's you get at Walmart are a different quality than a Samsung you would buy from your local electronics guy.......the safes built by these companies for Tractor Supply, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. are a different quality. They are trying to focus on price and not quality. I see from posts on here why.......several only care about price.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:37 am

i'm not really interested in dropping $2500 on a safe to protect a few $600 deer rifles and duck guns - those can be replaced pretty easily.

i'm most interested in keeping the guns in a secure location for my kids....
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:28 pm

I just bought a Liberty Fatboy 64 gun safe. I did a lot of research and found that Liberty, while a little more expensive, is made in the USA and they have the best reviews. Their locks are all UL rated and have the best fire ratings. I got a price quote from another dealer and got Gander Mtn. to price match it given they were closer to me.

I also considered Cannon safe, which is what my Dad has, but they are now made in Mexico and supposedly the quality is just not what they used to be. Like others have said, the weight is a tale tell sign of quality of construction. The Tractor supply safes are lesser quality and construction.

I don't know about the rest of you but, I don't want to replace any guns because some are just simply irreplaceable. I made the investment in the best safe that I could afford and I am very pleased so far. This purchase was an upgrade from my original gun safe which was a Sentry 14 gun. I use that one now exclusively for ammo storage.
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:13 am

I bought a Steelwater gun safe after looking at Liberty and other for several years. Compare the weight, metal thickness and fire board layers used. I went with the Steelwater 2 hour safe. I felt like I could get a lot more for my dollar over Liberty. I have had the safe a year now and have been pleased. The construction is good. The materials as advertised. I believe Liberty makes a good safe, but you will pay for it.

Only thing I would have done different was gotten the digital lock. I can get in with the combination lock pretty quickly, but I can't get my wife to use it enough. I will admit I would probably move things in and out more if I had the convenience of the digital lock.

Most important thing to remember is that any safe is better than no safe. But if you are going to spend the money, you might as well get all you can for what you want to spend.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”