Y'all that reload...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Y'all that reload...

Postby landscaper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 am

I'm about to try my hand at it but don't have any real knowledge to get started. I'm slowly accumulating some supplies and components. Are there any forums out there y'all participate in where there's lots of good info? Any must have books or manuals?
duramax
Duck South Addict

Re: Y'all that reload...

Postby duramax » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 am

http://www.handloads.com/

Good reference site for different loads to try out that may not be in standard printed load guides. I picked up a couple hot loads off it for my .223 and subsonic loads for my .308. I learned a little over 10 years ago just reading manuals. Really there isn't much to it. Now with youtube, you can find more than enough instruction on there to get you in good shape.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:32 am

Micah
Site Admin

Postby Micah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 pm

Get a good manual and read it! The loads in there are tested and safe, and the manual breaks down the process step-by-step.

I started handloading at 12 with nothing but a book; my dad had never reloaded, so I learned how to do it myself. Started with shotgun loads for my 20 gauge on a single stage MEC, and then bought a RCBS RockChucker kit from Surplus City in West Jackson to load for my .270. In a couple of months time, I was shooting 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards off of shot bags.

You can get a good single-stage kit by RCBS/Hornady/Lee that includes everything you need except the dies for the specific caliber that you want to load.
Micah
Site Admin

Postby Micah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Get a good manual and read it! The loads in there are tested and safe, and the manual breaks down the process step-by-step.

I started handloading at 12 with nothing but a book; my dad had never reloaded, so I learned how to do it myself. Started with shotgun loads for my 20 gauge on a single stage MEC, and then bought a RCBS RockChucker kit from Surplus City in West Jackson to load for my .270. In a couple of months time, I was shooting 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards off of shot bags.

You can get a good single-stage kit by RCBS/Hornady/Lee that includes everything you need except the dies for the specific caliber that you want to load.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:18 pm

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/

There is a great reloading tab on this forum.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:19 pm

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/

There is a great reloading tab on this forum.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Berger Manual and the Nosler manual are the two I use the most. Hornady as a bunch of new boolits but I haven't fooled with them much. One of the new ones with a heat shield tip looks cool. I get most of my stuff from sinclairs or midway. Or powder valley. Accurate shooter and long range hunting are my two favorites. Snipers hide is ok but it is too full of Mma, top gun, bad boys who all have guns that shoot groups In the .2's at 600 yards :roll:
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Micah
Site Admin

Postby Micah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:12 pm

Agree with Blackduck. Nosler manual is great.

One thing to consider, is that primers and powder are expensive to ship. Unless you're buying bulk, local sources are usually cheaper. I try to buy what I can at Van's because they keep a good selection. There is a company from Alabama that usually comes to the Jackson gun shows that brings a good supply of primers and powder with them.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Any of y'all reloadin folks that need something I have a contact that can get me just about anything you need. I go through abould 30lbs of shotgun powder a year. If you let me know I'll get y'all a price on what you need.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”