Steel vs Lead

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mallardshooter
Veteran

Steel vs Lead

Postby mallardshooter » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:16 pm

Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:39 pm

Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:23 pm

Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:45 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
mottlet
Duck South Addict

Postby mottlet » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:39 am

Somebody run on over to the Gundog Forum and get Goosebruce. He might have an opinion or two on it.

mottlet
dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:57 am

i dont know too much about the lead vs. steel thing..... never thought about sticken sum lead in my pocket and trying it. i have been sitting by someone that was shooting lead one day :shock: wuz shutting em down alot further than i was. i do know every hunt i sit there and watch that steel bounce rite off the duckie! have been wondering about the steel thing rusting in the water! one final thing i do know is..... when you bite into sum steel when eating duck that sum- bitch HURTS :x
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:34 am

I think a lot of this misses the point. Your goal in duck hunting is to get ducks over the decoys right??? A duck at 20 yds. is dead with steel, lead, bismuth, heck even some people with a bow and arrow. Sure lead was better, it used to be great we would take 3" 4's and have the perfect load for geese and ducks. Then when we went duck hunting shooting them over decoys all we shot was 2 3/4 7 1/12's. Lead was great, but steel isn't that bad. Instead of people complaining that steel doesn't work they need to get out and learn how to shoot steel. If you hit a duck in the heart or head with lead or steel you think it matters to that duck? With steel being so light you have to add to your lead or take away with your lead were with lead shot you never really had to account for this too much. Bottom line is there is a difference between lead and steel, but if you shoot your ducks over the decoys there aint any problems period. This is all coming from someone who is also a self admitted poor shot.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

lead

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:35 am

i keep a 00 buck 3 1/2 buck shot in my bag. been in there for about two years now, keep thinking that boone and crockets going to decoy right on in?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:40 am

Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:47 am

I shot lead in the "good old days" of lead and have shot steel ever since it was required. After years of shooting nothing but steel, I had the opportunity to shoot cases of lead at ducks in Argentina and Uruguay. I concluded that the controversy over lead vs. steel, if there even is one, is blown way out of proportion. The usual reason you get cripples is that you shoot at ducks that are out of range. Restrict your shots to those within 30 yards and your recovery rate will rise dramatically.
mallardshooter
Veteran

Postby mallardshooter » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:33 am

Great points guys. I know that if I shot ducks with lead to refresh my memories, my opinion would likely change. While I agree with the shot placement is more important than the shot material, I personally shot ducks in the chest, head & neck that have flown sereral hundred yards before dying. (pellets/wounds discovered when bird is dressed).
Jeff, myself also being a poor shot but limiting my shots to 30 yards, I agree with the fact that steel shooting is a completely different animal. I also believe that guns/loads/chokes have to be tuned where with lead all you had to do was buy any brand of shells. There in lays some of of the frustration.
DBL R do you have a source for your info? I've always heard some of that stuff over the years, but never knew where to find it.
Dutch, your point is well taken. Part of my theory is: in deer hunting bullets, I have always shot a fast, light bullet so all the energy stay within the deer. Steel shot is the same as shooting deer with a full metal jacket bullet. So, why can't shell makers develop something simular. I know that Hevi-shot is the closest so far, but it is $20/box!! Yea, when galvanized ducks start flying south, then we can believe the video. :wink:
Teul, don't forget. Santa Clause is watching you. He's everywhere :wink:
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:35 pm

Peewee
BeastMaster
Duck South Addict

Postby BeastMaster » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:29 pm

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it, they will be your food.
hwy61DuckCamp
Regular

Postby hwy61DuckCamp » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:23 pm

Ive noticed a few turkey load shells around the pits I hunt...not sure how they got there?

My uncle took me as a kid....I remember sitting in awe watching him drop big mallards stone dead at 55-60 yards with his Winchester Model 12 Duck Gun...Reloaded 3" Super X Paper Shells !

I dont remember a one of em coming down with a broken wing and swimming to axscape !

I heard one fellow analyze it this way....cost of a ticket 1 out of 5 years vs Cost of Tungsten/HeviShot to Lead....I think you can figure where he came down on that argument...And I can tell you, its been more than 5 years..... !!

I dont want to encourage illegal activities...but if you have a few guys hunting on 500 acres of private land...I doubt you will put out enough toxins in 100 years to even come close to what farmer maan puts down every year !

I dont like steel...say what you will about shot selection, good shooting, etc...it stinks..always has and always will....

Now if you are hunting with the "Dubbya" at Beaver Dam...and you got you a Man Servant to pole you to the blind...and bring you breakfast...and make sure the ducks land in yo hole 20 yards out...More power to you !

Hey that reminds me of a funny story...What did Dubbya ask his handler just before he headed out to the duckblind one morning ? Hey fella...which end of this here bullet goes in first ? ...the shiny end or the green end ??////////////////// LOL

I think Bing Crosby allowed nothing bigger than a 28 ga in his blind....but I 'spect he had a little advantage over the rest of us...

As the maan says...Let your conscience be your guide !
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:38 pm

If you want to see how lead can build up over time, go to Catahoula lake and bring a shovel. Then take samples of the bottom of the lake and see what you get for pellets, I GARUNTEE you will pull up shot and some of it will still be lead even thouh it has been outlwed for over ten years.
What you do is your choice, and how you hunt is your choice. But I can tell you I hunt public land and I keep my shots close. It's not that hard to do. Of course occasionaly you will take a longer shot, I won't try and tell you otherwise. But for the most part you can get ducks over the decoys. I have done it growing up here and currently here, on the Resevoir in Jackson, and also in Askew in Coldwater, also Reelfoot in N. TN, so it can't be all that hard. To me ducks in the decoys is why I hunt, just like a turkey strutting in close is why I chase them.
Also you would be surprised how many people read this stuff, I would be real careful about coming out and saying you break the law, but that's just my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”