Building a cabin

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Re: Building a cabin

Postby Chuckle12 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. That is a hell of a cabin Roach!! I'm looking to do this more as an exercise in resource use and a fun project. I really want it to be very basic. I am planning on a small well and a small solar set up, with a small 3k generator as back-up or when I need to run bigger things. Probably go with a composting toilet or true outhouse. I am really wanting this to be truly "off the grid" and built by hand. I have even been looking at getting an Alaskan mill to use my saw to cut some timbers. I think it's not economical or even feasible in a fair amount of time to cut all the timber this way, but the interior siding and some big timbers for a porch and inside would be nice to be cut by myself. I'm figuring up plans for 14'x20' max size, likely smaller, with a loft. This is just in it's infancy. I will keep ya'll informed as I proceed.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Sam,

We finished one up a couple of years ago. A buddy of mine was the GC. We learned several lessons.

It is as much of a barn as it is a cabin. Under roof 3/4 is covered barn/skinning shed/storage and 1/4 is living area. If you ever want to take a look at it let me know. Its between Canton and Flora so we can make a quick trip.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm interested in the same thing, but the dilemma I have is that I might someday want to live there. IOW, I might want a bigger house. Putting a small cabin seems to really have the potential to be a regretted investment, if I build my 24/7 home there later.
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 pm

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:15 am

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:29 am

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
brake man
Veteran

Postby brake man » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am

When I grow up and have some serious folding money, I want to build a couple of house/barn structures like these down at the farm. :D These folks built one place first and should have the second one wrapped up in the next couple of months. These places are built in the river flood plain (with the field around the house flooding on more than one occasion) so the house/barn structures are built so the lower level can flood. These places are just across the river that wraps around our neighborhood so it has been interesting watching these huge places being built as we go on regular walks down the trail and the dog does his regular long swims in the river. I understand they are incredible inside and are probably in the $1.5 million-plus dollar range (not including the land).

Water has been a little high recently. When the river is lower, this is some of what our crew likes to do. :D

Ol' Cooper enjoys training and just going for a long swim no matter what the temperature or water level:

brake man

Return to “General Discussion Forum”