Lawn Maintenance: Oak Leaves, rake or Mulch

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:55 pm

I have 5 oak trees, leaves are killing me,,read somewhere to mulch them but won't that leave too much acid in the ground and kill what little grass I have left..bout ready to invest in a bag system for the ZTR. What say the brain trust???
I'm Retired, leave me alone
Veteran

Re: Lawn Maintenance: Oak Leaves, rake or Mulch

Postby 1010 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:40 pm

I have several oaks also, I have a designated burn spot that I use a blower to move them too.
The kids also use it for hotdogs and s'mores. I spread the ashes over the yard after they've cool off.

I do much mulch some of the early leaves, but burn the majority.
Not at all of them once of course, I have the pile next to the fire and burn a few at a time, then add more..

I live in town so smoke can be a problem, if the leaves are not dry. Leave them spread out, till your ready to burn.
My neighbors do the same for the most part. Even burn them in the street at times during the fall.

I don't bag anything, but have filled the garbage can full also.
If you buy something get a good gas backpack blower. You can really cover a lot of ground and have a small mountain in a few MIN.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:10 am

If you fertilize and lime your lawn regularly anyway mulch them. It's just free organic matter (nitrogen) for the lawn. If you don't lime each year I'd rake them.
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:05 am

Landscaper, I have .41 of an acre, how much lime you think is recommended or get soil sample tested for the most accurate rates. I fertilize spring and late summer with Scotts.
I'm Retired, leave me alone
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:11 am

It will all depend on what you're trying to grow. If you're growing fescue or something that needs to be overseeded a couple times a year you could probably do less lime per application. The areas with the heaviest amount of leaf litter will require more than the other areas. You could start with 100-200 lbs per application and see what happens. Or, If you want to do it perfectly, you should do some soil testing. Take samples from several different areas of the lawn until you get it balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am

I am now down to 5 oak trees in my yard. I DID have 8. I tend to bag them. If I don't, all the darned leaves and acorns wash down the hill and completely clog the city drainage system. Leaves and acorns are a witch! But the worst I think are the limbs. For me to do yard work on my little corner lot takes an hour of limb cleanup, THEN I get to work on the leaves and grass. Note to all, please stay way down range from my yard at mowing time. Acorns don't pattern too well out of a yard machine,
Nobody owes you anything.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”