Flood Control Lakes

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Flood Control Lakes

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:22 am

With the gates closed down in Steel Bayou, I am wondering why the spillway is going in Grenada. I pass over the Yalobusha River everyday on I-55, and it has been bank to bank for several weeks now. I also cross the Tallahatchie on Hwy 8 near Minter City every day, and it is high too. That lead me to think that Enid, Sardis, and Arkabutla are going too. Correct me if I am wrong, but this water doesn't have anywhere to go once it hits those gate right. I tried to call the gate house at Grenada the other day to see what the lake level was at, but all i got was a busy signal.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: Flood Control Lakes

Postby DanP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 am

Tallahatchie and Yalobusha are headwaters of Yazoo and do not go through the SB gates.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:13 am

But it does go somewhere right. Doesn't that water end up causing floods between the Yazoo and the hills below Yazoo City?
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36 am

My understanding is that water is a drop in the bucket compared to what is coming down the MS and does not influence flood height much in situations such as that are in now. I'm sure Novocaine or others can provide a better explanation
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Maybe so. I remember years ago when the Tallahatchie and Yalabusha would flood they always seemed to have to spillways running because the lakes were full. Just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks.
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:34 pm

The corp lakes are usually drawn down this time every year to prepare for spring rains. Grab you spinning rods and head to the spillways for some awesome fishing.
I'm Retired, leave me alone
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:34 pm

The corp lakes are usually drawn down this time every year to prepare for spring rains. Grab you spinning rods and head to the spillways for some awesome fishing.
I'm Retired, leave me alone
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Since i think the flood of 1991 when the Corp got caught with their pants down, a rule curve was set up for crop season and non crop season for the 4 flood control lakes. Since that time, if stage is above the rule curve, they are required by law to draw down levels. When you hear that it takes an act of congress to change the stages on the 4 flood control lakes, that is actually true. Fishermen always complain about summer lake levels on the lakes
but it is flood control first, recreation second.
The rule curve is on the web. I will check it and post if i can find it.
I cant reduce the file and load it so here is how to get to it.

go to rivergages.com
vicksburg district
vicksburg flood control lakes
yalobusha river at grenada lake
bottom left corner...........guide curve

The stage is above the curve therefore water is being discharged until it gets down to the curve value
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:00 am

But do they not take into account what is happening downstream from the levees? I grew up between the Tallahatchie and Yalabusha rivers, and we almost lost the house during the '91 flood, so i understand the need to get the lake levels down during the winter to catch spring rain. I also agree %100 with that practice, but my father in law has a camp in Delta National Forest that is going to have a foot or two of water in it, if not already. There are also some people around Satartia that are going to lose sleep over this as well. It just seems like with the Mississippi River as high as it is, that all the water coming out of Grenada, Enid, etc are just adding to the water that is piling up down there now. Does it not make sense to at least limit the water in the spillways until the big river starts down?
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:10 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 pm

comparing the discharge of the four lakes and the MS river would be like a straw and a 4inch fire hose
They have very little effect at all on the river.
What gets the MS going is when large amounts of rain fall over the entire MS river basin. It's amazing how much land drains down the MS river.

Grenada is 2in of rain and Sardis is one inch of rain, in 24 hour period, the gates have to be closed or there will be local flooding.
It's broken down even more for heavy rain..
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:48 am

Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:30 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”