Alaska

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Forrest3
Veteran

Re: Alaska

Postby Forrest3 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am

alaska_av8r Maybe you can just go with us and be out tour guide!!!!

We booked our plane tickets yesterday and have put together a tentative schedule that has us staying in Denali 2 days and then Talkeetna for 1 day. We also are taking your advise and planning to go to Eklutna Lake and the Matsu glacier.

Keep the suggestions coming.
adame
Duck South Addict

Postby adame » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 am

I was around anchorage/kenai pen. end of June-early July. I was looking at moving up there after i got out of the air force. the beauty of that place is second to none. if you are renting a car, DON'T get it from the airport. there was almost a $300 difference. Hooking into a 30-45lb king on a 6weight rod with 5x tippet is an experience.
alaska_av8r
Regular

Postby alaska_av8r » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:45 pm

Forrest I would certainly do that if I could. That darn place just has so much cool stuff to do it's unbelievable. I had a tendency to find myself in some places pretty far off the beaten path. After living there for a year I realized two things, every time I left town I better be prepared to handle anything, and every time I left town it was gonna end up being an adventure, a true adventure. Not that I wasn't prepared but I was one of those, wonder what's behind that mountain types. As they say I have lots of stories for the grandkids, now I just have to get the grandkids...lol

Oh here's a cool one, if go south out of anchorage when you get where road splits (one road going to kenai and homer, other going to Seward) take the Seward road but just drive 100 yds or so, on east side of road (left) will be a long mountain ridge, really long. Get out your binocs and start glassing and you will see some mountain goats somewhere on this ridge. They'll be there just gotta find em, also seen both blacks and grizz roaming around up there in spring.

In Denali Nat park, if you can do the long tour (8 hours) you've got a good chance of seeing most of the major wildlife, caribou, moose, dall sheep, grizz, black bear, and if lucky a wolf. I also mentioned watching the dall sheep on hills south of anchorage, if your up for it....when you see them keep on driving for about 2-3 miles (just one area that they like to come down sometimes all way to road). Then turn around and go to wher you saw most accessible sheep, pull over, park and start climbing, lots of trails. The sheep aren't too spooky, they are used to people (draw hunt only area). Stay on trail until u are above them, then you can venture closer, find a good Boulder then sit and watch. I've had them walk up within touching distance like this.

I won't give specific fishing advise because salmon fishing totally depends on whether they are running up the river and how large a school has entered the river but If you find yourself going toward kenai, keep an eye out for Russian river campground, go in there and park at the end and walk down to the river. The Russian is not very big, it's headwaters is only few miles away coming off glaciers via two lakes, but this is one of the best road accessible rivers for red salmon, it is also home to some pretty big rainbows. If up for walk, head upstream it gets prettier the farther you go, However..... There was only a handful of times that I made this trek that I didn't see something brown and hairy with salmon smelling breath coming the other way (no not my girlfriend she was blonde). If the salmon are running up the Russian you can almost bet on it. Guess it goes without saying ANYTIME you are outside you could encounter a bear, even in downtown anchorage, just be prepared. If you are going to have a sidearm carry something accurate, a .22 with long barrel will work. You have to be able to hit a quick moving target just enough to slow them down, that way while they are yelling you can outrun them and escape. It is also a good idea to file the front sight flat, that way it doesn't hurt as much when mr bear sticks it up your heiny if option 1 doesn't work out. Sorry perverse Alaskan humor!....lol

I could talk about Gods country all day but enough for now, if any more tidbits come to me I'll point em out.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 am

alaska_av8r
Regular

Postby alaska_av8r » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:29 pm

Hunter that had to be a blast working on that ferry, remember first time I took it across scared me to death, never been on one like that.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:44 pm

alaska_av8r
Regular

Postby alaska_av8r » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:48 pm

The whole way of life up there is just amazing and addictive

Return to “General Discussion Forum”