Factory choke tube stuck

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Factory choke tube stuck

Postby msudawg8087 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Common problem I'm sure but have Stoeger M2000 with the camo finish that was given to me by my uncle. Factory modified choke tube is stuck. Been reading some online about the best ways to free it up and keep reading about PB Blaster. They did say don't get it on the camp finish as I assume it'll eat it off. Gonna get some tomorrow on my lunch break. Anybody with camo finish guns ever tried it? Do's, Don'ts or any better ideas in general?
SHERMANATOR
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Re: Factory choke tube stuck

Postby dukluk » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 am

If you got a military buddy who might have some "Break Free" sitting around, that's my 1st choice....PB Blaster would be my 2nd choice, and it works real good, too.

Just soak the choke really good, then stand your gun in a corner with the barrel end facing downwards into a bowl or can to catch the drippings.

Re-soak the choke several times for about a day....it should loosen up by then....if not, you'll just have to leave it until it does break loose.

Post up again, if you aren't successful....I got another remedy you can try.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 am

stand the barrel up in a corner with the choke in a cup of PB Blaster or Break Free. Give it a day or two then try it.
Do it out in the garage, cause that stuff will stink up the house.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up going to Van's yesterday at lunch and they had some stuff I read about as well called Kroil. Also needed a new choke tube wrench :oops:. I stood the gun barrel up and put a few small drops around the choke and end of barrel to let it get down in there. Did that a few times letting it sit around 30 min each time. Had to "Hulk" on the choke wrench but it finally broke free. Not sure if the choke had ever been removed before but she was nasty looking. I personally haven't changed the chokes out in it as I have only dove hunted with it twice in the past year or so I've had it. Everything in and out will be lubed accordingly after this episode....
SHERMANATOR
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:56 am

I've seen one that was real stuck.

guy took a mini crock pot - put marvel mystery oil in it - in 2-3 days it broke lose.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
wrdabney
Veteran

Postby wrdabney » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:09 am

I had the same problem on my stoeger with black finish. I tried EVERYTHING and it would not budge. Ended up trying to heat it and ruined the barrel in the process. I had to get a new barrel but now I religiously clean the threads on the choke and apply anti-seize compound to the threads like seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-An ... anti+seize
js
Veteran

Postby js » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 am

It's actually not the threads that cause the problem the choke tube bulges inside the barrel my m2000 did the same thing with the factory tubes has not done it again after I changed the factory tubes out with an after market tubes.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:05 am

I was just about to suggest kroil. "The oil that creeps"
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Yea the information I came across while looking up stuff the other night said that the factory chokes in this model are notorious for bulging or getting stuck. Guess I'll be shopping around for after market chokes now.

And regarding the Kroil, that stuff is baaaad news! Smell alone is enough to make the choke jump out haha. Definitely a believer of that stuff now.
SHERMANATOR
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:16 pm

I like the way it smells.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:17 pm

RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Just FYI on Breakfree, it is sold in some sporting good stores now..
I'm Retired, leave me alone
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 am

Vans sells Kroil ? That stuff is awesome and hard to find. I farm and that is the best penetrating oil ive ever used.
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:37 am

SHERMANATOR
marionfd708
Veteran

Postby marionfd708 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 am

Use Carmex(yes the lip stuff) on the body and threads of your choke. I have been using this for about 6 years after having your same problem. Never any other problems

Return to “General Discussion Forum”