Letter to Editor in Vburg Post

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gps4
Veteran

Letter to Editor in Vburg Post

Postby gps4 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:18 pm

anyone familiar with this incident described in sunday's edition of the vicksburg post?

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Letter to Editor in Vburg Post

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:22 pm

No comment on the event itself, but keep in mind that the writer is someone who thinks a game warden's job is "to protect helpless animals."

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:24 pm

isn't part of their job protecting helpless animals during high water events, or at least enforce the laws that protect helpless animals during high water events?
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:26 pm

I don't know anything about what happened, I just saw that myself, but I will place a wager that if any of the bystanders had attempted to "dispatch" the helpless animal like the GW did, they would be in some serious trouble.
Wonder who the GW was, couldn't have been ole TT!!!
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Noticed this popping up all over FB. People been talking about it

Woman made a complaint on the wildlife page also. Then commented on the people arrested for hunting when season was closed.
Last edited by levi127 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:46 pm

I heard about this event from an ex-coworker of mine. A different ex-coworker also witnessed this event, took pics, put it on facebook and the next morning it was gone. I was told the story was also submitted to the Clairon Ledger but they never heard of anything about it.
Peewee
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:58 pm

Must have been a Goodern.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:10 pm

I have seen this pop up several times in the last few days on facebook, but I have no first hand knowledge of the incident.
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:41 pm

I've also seen it on FB, but have also witnessed and heard of other similar type incidents with GW's. I've mentioned them in the past on this site. Feelings were hurt.
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:29 pm

From the Clarion Ledger today:

A letter from a Vicksburg man that was published in The Vicksburg Post newspaper has been circulating over the Internet and has tempers flaring.

The letter, which was attributed to Jimmy Hart of Vicksburg, described a scene near the Port of Vicksburg on Jan. 7. A deer was swimming to higher ground, only to be spooked back in the water by spectators who had gathered to watch the buck. When the buck came to land again, it was said to be exhausted and laid down on the bank.

Not long after, officers from the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks and the Warren County Sheriff's Department arrived on the scene. According to the letter, spectators were asked to back away and the deer was shot three times and killed by a conservation officer.

As the story made its way into email inboxes and Internet forums, it left some readers wondering why the situation ended as it did and others angry.

MDWFP Law Enforcement Bureau chief Col. Adcock said he was well aware of the incident.

"That deer swam out and people wouldn't leave him alone," Adcock said. "People had literally worn the deer completely out. There was nowhere for him to escape to."

Adcock said if there had been a wooded area the deer could have safely fled to, the situation would have been handled differently. But he said the area where the deer swam to land is surrounded by roads. Adcock said one of those roads is heavily used by trucks traveling to and from the Port of Vicksburg.

"It's a main highway there that has tons of traffic," Adcock said. "It was a public safety concern that it was going to cause an accident.

"That's just not a chance you can take. This was in the Port of Vicksburg."

Adcock explained that sedating the animal was not an option, either.

"Our officers are not veterinarians," Adcock said. "They don't carry sedatives and tranquilizer guns in their trucks. It's just not feasible."

After discussion among the officers on the scene, it was determined the deer would be dispatched.

"It is our job to manage the resources of Mississippi, but public safety is paramount," Adcock said.

According to MDWFP spokesperson Jim Walker, the deer was donated to the Mississippi Wildlife Federation Hunters' Harvest program. Through the program, the meat will be processed and distributed to Mississippi families in need.

Contact Brian Broom at (601) 961-7225 or bbroom@gannett.com. Follow The Clarion-Ledger Outdoors on Facebook and @BrianBroom on Twitter.
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
slim jim
Veteran

Postby slim jim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:35 pm

And that is how you cover your ass
this look's like it's gona hurt
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:56 am

This happened in front of the Ergon plant. The deer would've had to walk over 2 miles down the port road and then crossed Business 61, obviously full of traffic, to get to dry ground. Google where the Ergon plant is on Haining Road. It is completely surrounded by miles of water right now.

Had it caused an accident, I imagine concerned citizens would be blaming the officer for putting a deer's life over a human's.

You girls need to go back to your cross-stitching. it's supposed to be cold in February, and I'm sure your husbands could use some warm mittens or a stocking cap.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:56 am

How do you like your Hope and Change?
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:39 am