Ask DS truck bed lights

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Ask DS truck bed lights

Postby matador1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Would like to add something to light up bed when loading/unloading dogs, equipment etc. looked on Amazon and found everything from light strips powered by 3 AA batteries to the 4 light sets that wife directly to your truck. Anyone have any suggestions and if you did direct wire how hard is that. Not electronically inclined.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS truck bed lights

Postby 4dawgma » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Mine came factory installed, at the time I thought it was stupid. Now, I love them. I wouldn't want a battery operated system, too many problems down the road. What year, make and model are we talking about? Also wouldn't just let any ding dong go cutting into wiring harness on new vehicles. Have a Sonic that has been here at least a month, that some RV store cut into to rig some tow lights onto that nobody seems to want to pay to fix, so here it sits. I do a lot of business with Rick's Pro Truck, if there is a solution, they could handle it. They do all my light bar stuff and no complaints.
Where'd who go?
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Get the ones that wire to the truck...that's what I did. Don't get the 4 light st off of amazon, go to autozone and get the LED strips you will like them much better
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Get the ones that wire to the truck...that's what I did. Don't get the 4 light st off of amazon, go to autozone and get the LED strips you will like them much better
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Wiring is not too hard. Just pull a fuse from your side panel that powers something that is always on, insert the stripped end of a 12 volt wire into the non-hot side of the fuse slot and replace fuse.

Now you've got a hot wire to run back to your light and it's protected from overload by that fuse. Put a switch somewhere convenient to you in that wire, and run a second ground wire and you're home free.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:40 pm

I attached a ram mount ball to tool box and then mount a ram flood light to that. I power with a 7 to 4 or 5 pin adapter that also has a 12 volt outlet.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:23 am

I plan on doing this soon. Check out this thread on Texas Bowhunter, you'll see how the majority of folks are doing it.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337917

I like adding the rocker switch under the bedrail, some folks are using a contact switch when tailgate is open, lights turn on. Let me know if/when you get this done, would like to see the pics. I'll do the same.

And btw, happy belated birthday Matador!

Dead
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:43 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:17 am

Just ordered the stuff to install them in my truck. Already had red ones in my Nautique and they were pretty sweet in there.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:29 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQV6U7Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 Plan on using silicone glue to hold them. In my experience the adhesive back doesn't stick long unless it's a smooth surface which I don't have in the truck or boat.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:41 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:08 pm

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:19 pm

I have a couple of short pieces like Ronnie linked, but from auto zone or discount auto parts. I have them under the bed rail in the back, and glued to the inside of my tool box lid. All wired to a relayed switch in the cab.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:56 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”