Washington trip

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Washington trip

Postby Greenhead329 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:40 am

Just got back from a trip west to see my ole buddy and try and get some sea ducks. Worked all night the night before departure.. Got plenty of slee on the 5 HR plane ride from the delta connector .
Landed in Seattle to cold wet nasty weather (34 with moderate rain).. My buddy's hunting partner cooked us a hearty batch of elk stew (wonderful)

The following morning was my first time hunting the salt... My goal was the king / Mac daddy harlequin. I don't think I had the jitters that bad since my first morning ever duck hunting. Seas were mild, slight 9" chop where we were anchored.

I awaited patiently as dawn broke with few birds working... All of a sudden a beautiful drake came in from the left... Threw the gun up...miss , miss , MISS..

About 30 min later an even prettier drake came in... Hit, and dropped. However he was only wounded and diving. Took us about 45 min to track his movements in the surf before we got him in the boat... Very nice mature bird.

Birds continued to work but slowly throughout the day.. Every one connected with a harlequin

The next morning we set up for scoter.. Each of us limiting out quickly. Most difficult part of the day was watching Brant skirt the decoys and being unable to harvest one due to season closure :evil:
The sunrise and weather much more beautiful and calm the second day

Third day we were back across the mountains at my buddy's house hunting the rivers .
Connected with a mix bag of wigeon, ringnecks and bluebells.
My buddy's Chessie would get absolutely pissed if we let the birds land in the decoys and not shoot..
Not a lot of pics from the third day until I figure out how to load them from my go-pro

All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
jkmjr
Regular

Re: Washington trip

Postby jkmjr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:09 am

Very nice! I would have had a hard time watching for ducks because of all the beautiful scenery. I am taking my son to Oregon on a float/fish/camp trip for his graduation trip in June. I can hardly wait. Hopefully you can get some of your other pics. posted up. I would love to see them.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:37 am

That scenery is beautiful...cool hunt.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Very cool. West coast duck hunt has always been on my bucket list.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Great photos and story! I look forward to more. Harlequins are cool ducks. If I remember correctly, the limit is one per season in Washington State. We were able to shoot four per season in Alaska.
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:08 am

My late Mom was from up there in western Washington. Been up there several times. Most beautiful scenery in the country.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:32 pm

It is a beautiful country...if I ever leave home again.. That's where I'll settle or in montana
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”