New Job

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
yankee
Veteran

Re: New Job

Postby yankee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 am

Summers are tough, but the silver lining is you are around to see your kids a lot. One thing that has helped me over the years, is that I have more or less "trained" other people to mail and contact me when I am most effective. I go hard in the mornings when the house is quiet and I can get a lot done, and over the years colleagues tend to contact me then, because they know I'm at my desk. This decreases the amount of calls and mails I get at 3-5pm when the kids and noise appear. It doesn't make it go away, but the pattern helps the lifestyle. Very few drawback in my opinion!
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Here's one thing to note.... If you are ever on a video conference (using laptop with camera), make sure you are not laying on the bed in your underwear.... thinking you turned off the camera.
And your wife or girlfriend doesn't jump on the bed next to you... naked.

Dead
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:05 pm

HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
brake man
Veteran

Postby brake man » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:05 pm

brake man
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
FoldedUp
Regular

Postby FoldedUp » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm

I've always wondered what it would be like working from home. Although my company, by trade, involves alot of outside/field work (nat. resources/environmental), a good portion of what we do is office based (reporting, presentations, correspondence etc). I also manage our geographic information systems, which obviously means sittings at a computer for a majority of the time. 95% of our communication with clients is telephone and electronically based, so working from home would not impact that. The thing that I would be weary about losing is the communication between coworkers. We work so closely on projects together that it just seems impossible to NOT be down the hall from each other where we can yell or walk down for help. We would lose alot of our efficiency if we weren't in face-to-face contact with each other.

Yes, I've day-dreamed about this topic before, because I believe the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:39 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
FoldedUp
Regular

Postby FoldedUp » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:04 am

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict