Standby/Backup Generators

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Standby/Backup Generators

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 am

Whos has them? What brands would you recommend? In the process of a new construction and strongly leaning towards installing one.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
Forrest3
Veteran

Re: Standby/Backup Generators

Postby Forrest3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:39 am

Just finished a house and put an eaton 22kw on it. Eaton and generac are the same.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:06 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:12 am

I'd like a discount.
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:44 am

Kohler makes a very good one , Call Marty with Jim Cowden Electric.601-573-5553 He has great prices and installs.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
Forrest3
Veteran

Postby Forrest3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 pm

jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Thats not a bad price. I have been looking at 15-18k for around the same price. These units are both Koehler and Briggs n Straton. Generac doesnt have good reviews that I have found on the web.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Not sure if yall would have any need on the side - if you live in the metro area - this wouldn't work

but I would recommend getting a welder generator, and getting your house wired for it

then you could use it for other options - mount it on a small trailer.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
simplepeddler
Veteran

Postby simplepeddler » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:55 pm

I have the GE model......Briggs markets it as well.

seven years old and has never failed.
one of the few units that can monitor a load to start and run two 5 ton A/C units.
fivemile
Veteran

Postby fivemile » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:57 pm

I have had a 20kw Generac for years, auto switch and it's great. Will run 3 HCAC units, ref., lights, etc.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Jdbuckshot - why wouldn't the welder generator work in the metro area?? Thanks
Scott Baker
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Diesel and 1800 rpm would be the best. My take on this is what does the equipment coming to a storm wrecked area run on, diesel. Farmers in the area, diesel. All the other people buying gas for their generators won't be buying the diesel you need for yours. You will have more diesel available than gas. Now for the technical aspects, an 1800 rpm generator will produce a cleaner sine wave as the generator head is a 4 pole generator. 3600 rpms generators utilize a 2 pole generator due to their rpm speed. Longevity, 1800 rpm generator will last twice as long due to running half the speed. Servicing, diesel doesn't HAVE to be ran every month. Gas does or the carb will gunk up and leave the generator useless when it is needed most. These auto transfer switches are nice, but they do not load up the generator when they do their monthly runs. Running an engine for little time is more harmful than good as the engine doesn't come up to operating temperature to burn out the built up condensation. Also, you increase the chances of blow by, wetstacking, or washing the cylinders when the engine doesn't come up to temperature and held for a little while. The best run time is under a load, and preferably an 80% load. 1800 rpm generators also run quieter due to they are running at half speed and not full speed.

Stay away from NG. You will wish you didn't run it with the cost of natural gas and the amount of fuel a natural gas engine consumes due to the lower BTU rating of NG compared to gasoline.

Me personally, I have a 12.5kw KJ Series Kubota diesel. The KJ series is more or less Kubota's general use generator. Inside my home you hardly hear it. Kubota does has a SQ (super quiet) series and they are just that, super quiet. Either model can be setup with an auto start controller which would take the output signal from an auto transfer switch. I run it every couple months on my homemade load bank simply so I don't have to worry about resetting clocks and such in the house. I built my loadbank for my generator, but I have used it more working on generators for other people. Cleaning a carb and the generator running on the shop floor doesn't mean it can handle the rated load. Load bank loads up the generator and I've came across a couple I cleaned that still had trash in the carburetor because it struggled under full load. Purred like a kitten just sitting there running with nothing hooked up to it too.

Another option is if you own a tractor to get a PTO generator. This would leave one less engine to maintain in general. Figure a rough number of 1.5kw per 1hp. You want your engine sized slightly less than the generator head as you will only bog the engine down if you overdraw on the generator. Having a larger engine and you run the risk of burning up the generator head which is a pricey repair.

That is probably more than you asked for. :lol:
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Mud hog where did you get your info on ng? Been awhile back but seems like I remember natural gas being well less than $1.00/ gge (gallon gas equivalent). Also you never have to fill a tank or worry about fuel spoilage or finding fuel in a disaster such as hurricane Katrina.
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:05 am

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:37 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero

Return to “General Discussion Forum”