Drowning in DNF?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tha bugman
Veteran

Drowning in DNF?

Postby tha bugman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:24 am

Heard of a young man drowning yesterday. Has anyone else heard this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You ain't killin if you ain't shootin
mojo662
Regular

Re: Drowning in DNF?

Postby mojo662 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:00 am

BDeer
Regular

Postby BDeer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:57 pm

Happened just south of the dummy line bridge and boat ramp on the little sunflower Sunday morning. Group of 3 boats, one boat stopped to adjust something in the boat and either hit something when getting back on plane or accidentally hit the throttle, that part i was a little unclear on. All 3 guys in that boat went in the water, 2 made it to shore. It sounded like the other 2 boats didn't get far before stopping because the other boat wasn't behind them and going back to check. They could not find the 3rd guy in the dark.

We pulled up to launch about 5:25 and had no idea anything was wrong, i saw a fire in the woods and lights on a boat nearby south of dummy line as i turned into the parking lot, i thought it a little odd but didn't think anything more of it at the time. We had boats in the water and about to take off to go hunt when a sheriff pulled up and we figured out what was going on. They were warming the 2 wet guys by the fire and looking for the 3rd.

I'll be completely honest, i have in the past not worn life jackets or kill switch when hunting. I think in this case that could have made a difference. I'm not criticizing because i'm completely guilty of the same thing myself every time i hunt. I'm changing my policy on that going forward. A dark, cold river while wearing waders can be very dangerous. I hope any of you that boat hunt that are like me and have been not taking these precautions will reconsider going forward.

My prayers go out to the family and friends
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:37 pm

I know the families of all three boys that were in the boat. Say a special prayer for all of them when you can. So sad.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 pm

This is totally non-related to the folks in the incident- prayers sent for them.

I will not ride in a boat with anyone operating it if they are not wearing a kill switch. If they want to go without a life jacket, hey, that's fine, but there a boat operator not wearing a kill switch is a direct danger to myself and my safety.

I started wearing a life jacket a long time ago. Being that I do most of my boating/paddling alone in swamps and remote areas, and that I have a fancy life jacket with handy pockets, etc, on it, I figured why not? Plus it adds a little extra warmth to your core. The pockets come in handy to store stuff like airplane bottles of liquor and cigarettes for easy, quick access while operating under speed.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
tha bugman
Veteran

Postby tha bugman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:10 am

So sad prayers to the family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You ain't killin if you ain't shootin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”