Kings Point Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Kings Point Question

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:46 pm

It seems like memberships for hunting clubs and land is constantly up for sale on Kings Point at Vicksburg. What is the deal with that place? Is it hard to access...filled with outlaws...hunting not that good?

Just curious. Thanks
maverick21
Veteran

Re: Kings Point Question

Postby maverick21 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:05 pm

The place I know for sale currently is due to the owner getting another place. The down side is the ferry access times but was amazing every time I was invited over. Just from a guest observation though.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:43 pm

I've had great times hunting at kings point.

I can see how the ferry could be an issue with a lot of folks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:05 pm

You talking about the 7xx-acre place with the nice lodge? Nice looking spread. I know Riverland Plt had a share for sale for awhile but don't know much about that group. I also remember old Centennial being for sale a year or so ago -- I think the owner moved to hunting in north Madison Cty. He stepped up in accessibility, convenience, and hunting quality.

I think the ferry may be a bit of an inconvenience, but no big deal. One of the clubs just upriver doesn't even have automobile access. I wouldn't think there are any systemic issues with the area.

You hunt around there Deltamud?
brake man
Veteran

Postby brake man » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:25 pm

I don't know diddly about any of the places mentioned, but I would imagine not many places could be more inconvenient than Brandywine Island back in the day and before the low water access road was installed. :| Sorry for the pseudo-hijack. :oops:
brake man
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 am

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 am

DP
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:48 pm

There is a legitimate reason. Access and lack of usability 6+ months out of the year. If you have hunted inside the levee the last 10 years you know what I'm talking about. Shortened seasons. Virtually no turkey hunting. Antler quality decreasing due to continuos floods. The future ain't looking any better with the river going to 51' in Jan. Deer that are already stressed are going get hit hard. Real hard.
Peewee
WeBeJeepin
Veteran

Postby WeBeJeepin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:03 pm

My dad got in a club on King's Point Island in 1977 and I have been hunting up there all of my life (35years) and it is some really fun hunting but the drawbacks are just like everyone says. The ferry used to run 24/7 with a contract guy that lived in a trailer at the top of the hill. When a log truck flipped the ferry over several years ago the coast guard got involved and made them have a certified pilot, new boat, inspections, etc. All of this cost a bunch and pushed the county to have limited hours to run it (6am-6pm) which basically means you have to spend the night over there to get in an early morning or late afternoon hunt. The county has two certified pilots who each run 3.5 days per week. If one has an emergency or gets sick then the ferry won't run on those days. A couple years ago the pilot that ran Thurs-Sat had a bad illness during bow season and he was off for over a month so those of us who have to work during the week didn't get to go over unless we took a boat and got somebody to pick us up on the island.

The place that is currently for sale is King's Point Hunting Club and they have had at least 3 different owners in the past 20 years that I know of. They built a levee around their camp around the 2008 flood and then the 2011 flood overtopped it and they lost everything. Now their new camp is build up on top of the levee.

The Pucketts owned Centennial for a bunch of years and sold it to buy part of Cameron. They said that they were tired of fighting the ferry and the high water.

As much as I love hunting over there I would have a hard time spending a bunch of money to buy some land knowing what I know about the way the ferry is run. If the county every decides to abandon that road then we are screwed!
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:16 am

I would love to get in a club close to the river. but it has been tough the last few years with with the high water.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:45 am

At what water level is the back road drive in access cut off? I can't remember, was that a private gate for only one landowner to use?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:47 am

It's just part of being on the river. History has proven that the deer herd will come back healthier and stronger than ever. It's just gonna take a minute. BTW.......I'm available most any weekends PeeWee. I would have thought you would have taken me on a nice guided deer hunt after calling up that bird into your lap in JD county :D
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:01 am

COON HUNTER
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:10 am

WeBeJeepin
Veteran