Interesting dove sighting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Interesting dove sighting

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:04 am

I saw this guy fly cross the road and land in a bush while on my way home the other day. It's a small dove of some variety, much smaller than a morning Dove. I don't think it is an Inca, as I am fairly certain I have seen a pair of these in this area two years ago? But it could be? It does seem to have some white colored speckling on it's breast. But I really don't know. It's about the same size as the South American turtledove but its wings were not colored the same.

Anyone care to take a stab at identifying this dove?

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Re: Interesting dove sighting

Postby arduckslayer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 am

Looks like a common ground dove. They make it into the southern U.S. Btw, the turtle dove is from Europe.
Attachments
CommonGroundDove.jpg
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Interesting dove sighting

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:11 am

My gun boy name "Jim" referred to those tiny dove we were shooting as turtle dove. I can't remember the Spanish name they had for them.

Thanks.

Edit: I can say this is what I saw this sept dove season while driving home. The afternoon sun hit the rufous underwings when a pair of these birds crossed the road right in front of me.

Thanks for showing me where to look.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Com ... nd-Dove/id
Attachments
image.jpeg
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”