Don't manipulate your grain

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
BIG TIMBER
Duck South Addict

Re: Don't manipulate your grain

Postby BIG TIMBER » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:39 pm

I heard a pistol was pulled out during the bust and stuck in face of the " outlaws"! Again another example of the money making schemes from our MDWFP. You can throw 10,000 lbs of corn out for deer, but run over a corn stalk that has less than a lb of corn on it and it's gonna cost you $30,000!! Give me a break, oh wait they don't believe in that
Heres to Long Legged Women, Banded Greenheads, and Long Spurs!!!
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Wait till your looking at 18 months jail time and 250k fine for not tagging ducks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
Crappie Logic Jigs Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Everyone on this board should read the Lacey Act and I guarantee it will scare the crap out of you. The Feds have a major overreach here

Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
quit calling
Regular

Postby quit calling » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:31 pm

There has to be more history to this story than just this one hunt... You don't get that heavy of a penalty unless there is a back history. Probably lucky that is all that could stick that day.... No loss of hunting privileges or was that part of the plea?

... And don't compare a pest deer to a federally protected migratory bird.
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:22 pm

The Lacey Act is overly broad and contains inadequate criminal intent provisions to protect even a sophisticated defendant, let alone the average citizen. Though originally passed with the good intention of enforcing state laws and protecting the American bird population, the Lacey Act has now become a casebook example of federal overcriminalization run amok.

Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:49 pm

I think when the punishment for DUI's, burglaries, drug charges, etc. is less harsh then running over some corn stalks...maybe, just maybe, we've gotten our priorities a little bit out of whack.
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 am

Im no legal beagle but the term "manipulation" is vague at best and leaves a lot up to disgretion and interpretation. Then it is guilty until proven innocent in a justice court and its up to you and your resources to fight it. Usually in these smaller courts in small towns you are going to get hosed. I've personally heard a justice court judge say "its not the courts responsibility to interpret the laws". Now if a guy is riding a ranger or dragging a chain between 2 tractors to knock grain down for the soul purpose of knocking it down, then yes, there is an issue.
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:31 am

Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
quit calling
Regular

Postby quit calling » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:01 am

Talked to a few men from down that area.... Seems the boys reputation precedes him, and not favorably. Sounds like he's lucky that's all he got ......considering.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:30 am

"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
Roach
Duck South Addict

Postby Roach » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:36 am

U.S. Attorneys » Northern District of Mississippi » News

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney’s Office

Northern District of Mississippi

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Guilty Plea of Greenville Resident

OXFORD, Miss. Felicia C. Adams, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi, and Luis Santiago, Special Agent in Charge of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, announced that:

Gene Stock, 36, of Greenville, Mississippi, pled guilty on December 8, 2015, before United States Magistrate Judge David A. Sanders, in Aberdeen, Mississippi, to one charge of Taking Migratory Game Birds by the Aid of Bait and to a second charge of Aiding and Abetting others to do the same, in violation of federal law. The guilty plea arose out of an investigation concerning Stock’s hunting practices during the 2014-2015 waterfowl season. Stock, who had planted corn in his duck impoundment in Washington County, had, during the course of the season, used his ATV to drive throughout the impoundment for the purpose of going to and from his hunting blinds, retrieving downed waterfowl, and moving blinds from one location to another. In the process of driving his ATV through the impoundment, Stock knocked down stalks of standing corn, spreading grain throughout the impoundment. Federal law makes it unlawful to hunt migratory waterfowl over any area where agricultural crops have been manipulated, including manipulation by any motorized vehicle, unless the manipulation consists of a normal agricultural practice as defined by the state extension service.

Following his guilty plea, Stock was ordered to pay a $15,000.00 fine for each count of conviction, for a total fine of $30,000.00.

“We are committed to working with Mississippi and its citizens to conserve and protect wildlife,” said United States Fish and Wildlife Service Special Agent in Charge Santiago. “Our collective efforts help ensure that these resources will be here for future generations of fair chase hunters, trappers and outdoor enthusiasts.”

This case was investigated by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP). MDWFP Chief of Law Enforcement, Steve Adcock stated that he looks forward to the continued cooperative relationship with the United States Fish and Wildlife Service as together we protect and conserve Mississippi’s natural resources.
maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:12 am

I'm not sure how many times it can be emphasized that there's more to it than what is listed. It is vague in the fact that anyone who leaves standing corn can be charged with a violation at some point whether unintentional or not. With imagine and aerials, drones, etc it's pretty obvious when it's been systematically knocked down or some one just made a wrong turn on a ranger.

Besides a winged bird that sails or not having a dog, is picking up birds with a ranger a common thing? Seems lazy
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:41 am

$30,000 really? A fine that is comparable to the crime committed is justified, but $30,000 for knocking down corn and shooting a duck over it this could negatively affect this guy’s financial wellbeing for the rest of his life. Where is the common sense in this?
Last edited by ScottBrown on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Exactly what part of leaving corn standing and then flooding it is "NORMAL AGRICULTURAL PRACTICES"? NONE!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know this guy but this is BS!! I would make a wager that the arresting officer has broken this exact law multiple times every year! I know for a fact that the department and the departments in other states are breaking this law on a daily basis on the draw hunts when they turn the hunters loose with atv's. I know for a fact on daily draw hunts in other states these laws are broken by state employees shuffling handicapped hunters to and back from blinds. This ticket can be written TO ANY AND ALL hunters hunting over flooded crops. Hell they can blame the dam dog if they want to.

After dealing with the crooked biologist and wma manager last year I am seriously considering selling all my crap and giving it up. Selective enforcement, and lazy officers not enforcing the rules on the books but always asking for more has just become the norm!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”