Potential is there, but my aim sucks really bad!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Rfjeff9
Regular

Potential is there, but my aim sucks really bad!

Postby Rfjeff9 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:48 pm

I have been out twice for a couple hours each time and I have shot at at least 6 ducks each time. Within range of a 12ga Full Choke 32" barrell. On a kayak jump shooting.

I keep missing - I should have had target practice recently. Dang, if I had a a better eye or better aim each time I went out, I'd be doing really well this year. As it is, I am stinking it up really badly. Embarrassingly so. I probably wouldn't even admit it, except I am a little prideful that my idea of getting to ducks in mid day seems successful (would be nice to actually hit one). I am flushing them out within range, but totally missing them. I can't explain it.

Anyway, I am headed out again Thursday and Saturday mornings. Wish me at least marginal luck. Would like to hit one duck before the end of January.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small child than to fumble this football" - John Heisman
slim jim
Veteran

Re: Potential is there, but my aim sucks really bad!

Postby slim jim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:40 am

practice by sitting your rear end on the ground and shooting
this look's like it's gona hurt
Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 am

Try shooting a modified choke, or even improved cylinder.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:48 am

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:38 pm

I do a good bit of jump shooting (or did before I got my camera now I shoot them with it), and I would highly recommend a cylinder/ skeet choke. A lot of times the birds don't know what got them up and will swing right over you. You need a wide margin of error from your shooting position and most of the times the explosion of wings is just as surprising to you as your presence is to the birds- even though YOU were expecting it. You need "wiggle room" in your lack of precision shooting opportunities. I certainly wouldn't go past IC.

Another thing I would look at if I were you is a long canoe paddle. Learn a J stroke so you don't have to switch sides- in order to keep movement to a minimum. With a kayak blade you have more movement, and it can also be cumbersome and noisy in the thick stuff. Also, a canoe paddle will double as a push pole. Think of the kayak paddle as your outboard and the canoe paddle as your trolling motor. :D

Another thing that really helps out is a 3D Leafy suit. I am a huge believer in these things. I have even fabbed up the bow of my pirogues and canoe with pine tops or brush tops to conceal my movement behind it. Another thing you can try- and it works especially well in buck brush in late winter where you know mallards are located- is to post up in cover and conceal yourself. Get out a call that has some good raspy low end ( I like my DFB) and start doing a lonesome hen quacks. It's that cadence with a quick tempo, methodical, anxious quaack..quaack..quaack..quaack...for several minutes and wait. After 30 minutes or so move on to the next spot. I guarantee you if you're doing that lonesome quack correctly and have been quiet and drakes are around, one will come investigating and will be easily called in.

I have spent many hours sitting back watching birds through binoculars 20 yards away as they mill around in a buck brush thicket or slack water on the side of a creek, but nothing is more fun than slipping around in a thicket and stalking up on birds you know are there...Then all of a sudden BOOM! (And yeah, that's a pintail and yeah, I had a gun.)

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Rfjeff9
Regular

Postby Rfjeff9 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:49 pm

This is the first chance I have really had to duck hunt at will for about 26 years. My area and method is indeed totally new to me. There is going to be a learning curve.

Before, my dad and I would 100% jump shoot, but back then, we floated down a lazy, twisty river, paddle muffled, freezing, and ducks hiding behind gator weed would flush up to 30 yards away and head in the other direction downriver. The gun I have been using was perfect from a kneeling or sitting position and we were pretty good shots with it back then. Was always woodies too.

But that's not the distance I am seeing now, it's closer. I have a couple modified choke 12ga, I will try that.

As far as the kayak goes, I am looking at ways to buIld up a little cover on the bow.

A Canoe paddle is a really good idea. I realized on day 1 that I was moving too much and was thinking of something similar. I will look for one.

An experiment in progress, maybe I will post updates. I am out again tomorrow morning and I will set up initially where I have seen a couple mallards amongst coots the past couple times.

Thanks for the advice.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small child than to fumble this football" - John Heisman
Rfjeff9
Regular

Postby Rfjeff9 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:01 pm

So yeah. I have hunted before, many times. But nothing like what I am trying to do now.

Dang, it's even fun when I don't kill anything. I am 0 for and am having an absolute blast.

A little worried about the warm weather and snakes though. And gators with me in a yak.

BTW, I have a 12ft John boat, I may take it out tomorrow afternoon if I can talk my 11 year old into it. A bit scared of where I hunt, too many dang stumps just under the waterline. I have already gone swimming due to said stumps.

As I said, this first season I plan to learn alot. And have so far.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:20 pm

Full choke with steel is probably blowing holes in your pattern, too. The modified will be better.

I shot the worst round of trap this morning. I was over-thinking and trying to guess what the wind was going to do to each target instead of keep in eyes on the target. Once I went back to that 'basic', I started hitting them in the center.

I think the same thing happens on rising game targets - we come-off the gun and loose the point of reference (rear sight). If you keep your head firmly on the stock, don't pick your head up to get a better look at the target, and block the target (duck's head) completely out with the muzzle - chances are, you'll have the correct lead and connect with your target. On the other hand, if you can see the target when you pull the trigger, you're probably going to shoot completely under it or hit it in the butt, at best.

Sometimes when folks pull their cap too far down over their eyes......then try to stay down on the comb......the only thing you can do to see the target clearly is pick your head up. Of course when you do that, you've lost your point of reference and the shot goes 'God knows where'.....usually high.

Stay down on the gun, make a smooth deliberate (and controlled) move along the target's flight path, block it out or pull past (depending on the yardage) and squeeze the trigger.

One other thing - you're shooting at the part of the duck with the most armor between shot and vital organs.......his back. Use a pellet size that has the best combination of downrange velocity and penetration properties.....if you aren't using 2's or BB's....maybe you should be.

'Hope this helps - good luck.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”