Meet my Boys!!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Meet my Boys!!

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:34 am

I was reading through the "Blacks Lives Matter Protest at Dartmouth" thread and I completely agree that the movement is a farce and misguided attempt to create a racial divide in our country. It started with a false story in the Michael Brown case and perpetuated by race baiters like Al Sharpton and are now picking up steam on college campuses. There may be some bad or racist cops out there that we need to deal with them, but I know that the vast majority of police officers are good people and are risking their lives for us and for that we owe them the up most respect. In some cases officers may make bad decisions because of experiences they have had in inner city crime areas which are mostly a result of cultural issues in the Black community.

With all that being said, I wonder if we are just a guilty of creating a racial divide when you look at some of the posts in the "Blacks Lives Matter Protest at Dartmouth". If you look at the picture of my boys you can quickly tell that the youngest is biracial. We adopted him almost 3 years ago and I love him the same as I love my oldest who is our biological child.

I have always admired this site and I have met some really great friends on here. It's a great site to learn, share stories, discuss topics, request prayers and help others out. I can't tell you how many times I have called my wife or oldest son over to read a post or threat about something going on in one of your lives. But to be honest, I don't think I could call them over to read the "Black Lives Matter Protest" thread.

Now I know we all live in America and we are free to say what we want, and I am not asking you to stop. But what I am asking you is to consider this.

If I met you at a function with my family standing beside me and we started talking about the Black Lives Matter movement would you say those things to my face?

Would you say them to your Pastor?

If you stood in Judgement before God tomorrow would you say those things before Him?

I am not trying to change your opinions on this topic because I agree with many of your opinions on the Black Lives matter movement, but I know for a fact that we have several Black members on this site, and as member with a biracial child sometimes I just shake my head at the comments.

After the church shooting in South Carolina, all of us white, gun owners in the South were lumped in to the same category as the shooter. Because he was white, used a gun and had a rebel flag in one of his pictures we were all of a sudden the same as him because we didn't immediately give up our guns and change our State flag.

If we throw out racial slurs and lump all black people into the same category as inner city gang bangers are we not doing the same thing as they attempted to do to us after the South Carolina shooting? Are we not throwing more fuel on the fire of racial divide?

Feel free to say what you want on here, it is your right and I won't ever try to stop it, nor will I bring it up again in any future posts. But when I look into the faces of my boys, I don't see Black and White. I see two awesome boys that love each other regardless of color. Maybe we can learn from them

Ok Rant over..
Attachments
DaBoys.jpg
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Meet my Boys!!

Postby landscaper » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am

Very well said! Thanks!
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 am

Kids don't know to hate based on color they are taught that through direct and indirect actions of others whether it is parents, friends, family, whomever. They see other kids as being different colors but they just know they are a different color unless taught otherwise. My little boy has brown Bella in his class as he calls her. She was adopted from South Africa by some of our white friends. He plays with her and has no prejudices about it. He was at Chik Fil A in Madison a few weeks and a little Mexican boy his age, slightly older black boy, and a slightly younger Asian girl playing in the play area. None of those kids had a problem with being different. I sat there and watched and began to wonder this same thing Chad. Are old prejudices just being handed down like an inheritance because we want our kids to be so much like us? We will be starting our adoption journey soon and will open our home to whatever ethnicity child God wants us to have in our home. If it is not a white kid we are going to have problems with members from both sides of our family I can already see because like you said the good people get lumped into a stereotype with the bad ones far too often. Gun toting white Southerners are all racist. All Muslims are jihadist radical extremists crazies. The list goes on and on. I don't know the answer to make it better either. The old saying of one bad apple ruins a bunch pretty much applies to the way we generally stereotype people to this day.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Straight up word, Chad. Kids are not born even noticing race, they will love anybody until someone tells them not to.
thurockk
Regular

Postby thurockk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 am

Who did you use Cwink? My wife and I are getting ready to head down this road.
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:11 am

Solid post. Thank you.
gtk
Veteran

Postby gtk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:36 am

Good post, thx for sharing.

I will add that the news media that our kids are inundated with, help spread the racial divide. When all they see is "bad" on tv, they tend to believe it is "bad" everywhere.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 am

-George Washington
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Handsome young men!
trawler
Regular

Postby trawler » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:14 am

Excellent post. I believe there are many many more of us around this site with similar feelings but prefer to remain in the shadows. In fact, I'm betting if the truth be known we are the silent majority. I would encourage everyone with similar thoughts to "step into the light" and reply to this thread. No doubt in my mind this thread is a little dose of Divine Intervention on Duck South.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Great post Chad. I am guilty myself at times but I try hard. I truly try to love everyone. I do get fustrated with certain habits displayed by a lot of black people around here. At the same time I get disturbed by whites actions also (especially those dang meth heads). I try my best not to judge people. I have a biracial family also (my niece and nephew) are black. They are great kids, very respectful and a joy to be around. They were raised by my sister (a single mom) which tells me if the parent cares enough they can raise excellent kids. My nephew is 15 (big for his age) probablly 6'2 football player and my little sister (5'2") will knock the crap out of him if he gets out of line.
Peewee
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 pm

Ok, so here goes. While I agree in theory of what you are trying to convey, I once again see 'acceptance' run amuck. There must be an 'acceptance' that stereotypes are all around us. It is time for some backbone and people to call a 'spade a spade' for the sake of your children's and mines future. There are certain adult conversations that no child should read and before someone invokes the 'stand before the Lord' card, let us remember that Christ called a hypocrit, a hypocrit..........we will stand in judgment for all words spoken and written, so apply that to all aspects of life. We minister to families of all races and ethnicities, but some choose to attack or cause issues as they do not agree. Scripture states for us 'to take notice of those that cause division and strife'. There are certain manners in which to convey this message, but the people such as the 'black lives matter' should be called out for what it is, along with other movements that are intended to cause division. Our children should be told the truth about such, no matter their skin color. I am happy for your family and would never diminish that relationship. I have 'mixed' children and poor white children on my bus route at church. They sit in my lap each Sun AM just as my own children do, but if they ask me a question, I tell them the truth, not preach 'acceptance'.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Agree with you but the kids only learn the stereotypes and aren't born knowing them. We can only teach them about the bad behaviors of the individuals not teach them to use the stereotypes. Sometimes a spade is a spade and we can teach them to distinguish between that and a stereotype.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 pm

-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”