Youth License Question...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Bama Duck
Veteran

Youth License Question...

Postby Bama Duck » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:42 am

Planning on taking a couple youth hunting on the 21st, I will be properly licensed, my question is if the youth's Dad were to come along would he have to be properly licensed as well? From what I see of the regulations it only says that the youths must be accompanied by a properly licensed adult. Can anyone shed some light on this?
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Re: Youth License Question...

Postby jtdumallard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:28 am

If hes there, he better have the proper License and stamps needed.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:31 pm

rule of thumb is "participate in the hunt".
If he sits there, does nothing, he is fine. If he is observed assisting in the hunt in anyway, he can be ticketed.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:28 pm

YOUTH WATERFOWL HUNT DAYS: November 21, 2015 and February 6, 2016
Bag limits and shooting hours are the same as the regular season. Only youths age 15 and under
are permitted to hunt ducks during the youth waterfowl days and must be accompanied by a
licensed adult age 21 or older.

can the licensed adult age 21 or older "participate in the hunt?"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:57 pm

"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:04 pm

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:03 pm

gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Perhaps my question did come across as argumentative.

The OP asked if there was a requirement that an accompanying adult must had to be licensed if there was another licensed accompanying adult present. The youth regulation says only the youth can "hunt" but must be "accompanied" by a licensed adult. The regulation does not say that the licensed adult can participate in the hunt.

The pertinent statutes and regulations I've seen say that from folks can't hunt without a license and can't hunt out of season, and it seems to me that an essential element of hunting is taking an action with an intent to kill a game animal. In the context of the youth regulation, does the term "hunt" only mean shoot, or does it also encompass all the ancillary activities that may be considered as "participating in the hunt?"

Where does the phrase "participating in the hunt" comes from anyway? Is it in a statute enacted by the legislature, or a in regulation adopted by the commission, or is it an unwritten rule the conservation officers made up and used to justify issuing citations?

I do agree with you that the cost of getting licensed up may very well be worth avoiding the inconvenience of being cited by the overzealous conservation officer. But it's been so slow around here, why not stir the pot a little bit.
IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:08 am

My understanding of youth hunts, for any game, is that all adults who are with the hunt party must be properly licensed for that particular game. Not carrying a firearm doesn't negate "hunting." You're still involved in hunting with the youth, albeit limited. And Teul gave pretty clear, straightforward advice.
For the "I'm just sitting on hands and watching" issue, you're not. You're experiencing the hunt, excitement, etc...and hopefully making lasting memories with the kiddos. Memories stemming from the interaction with Mississippi's wildlife. Which under these circumstances, most likely requires a proper license.
tazdog
Veteran

Postby tazdog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:40 am

Have the dad get license and stamps and avoid any problems. If a leo shows up and everybody is licensed it all goes well and the kids get to have great memories. If not licensed things could go south and the kids have a memory of dad getting a ticket. Plus if he spends the money on a license he will be more willing to take the kids again. We should not stop taking the kids just on the youth hunts.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:09 am

The purpose of youth hunts is to get them involved in the sport and educating them. Part of that education is teaching them to obey the laws. Use the opportunity as the tool it was designed for and show them how and why they need a license, stamps, hunter ed, etc. Buying licenses and stamps aren't just for being legal. That money provides funding for the future of the sport you're trying to get them involved in. Lead by example and show them it's more than just killing ducks.

Sent from a galaxy far far away
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:38 am

Very hard to go on any hunting or fishing trip and not participate in some way, shape, or form. I speak from experience. Wife would go fishing with me all the time but she could care less about fishing. She sits there and reads a book. Conservation Officer was on the lake checking license and he was one or two boats down from us when my wife handed me a rod I asked for. She never even took her eyes off the book when she did it. When the office got to us he explained what he saw and that he could issue a ticket but he wasn't going to do it because he could tell she was clueless about what was going on. Nice guy who could have written her up but didn't. I now have her license and driver's license in my wallet anytime she goes with me.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:08 pm

I would say that another reason you need to be licensed is that there are other "seasons" open and a gun is present. By having everyone involved licensed, there isn't any question by leo or who is actually hunting, etc.

The way my luck is going, I would have a 40pt buck run through the deeks and not have a license while in the field.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”