Clipped a Hunting Day from Your Favorite WMA's

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
booger
Veteran

Clipped a Hunting Day from Your Favorite WMA's

Postby booger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:00 pm

I noticed that they have clipped a day from Your Favorite WMA, two WMA's (that I noticed) have fewer days to hunt. These are the draw affairs that we had so graciously been allowed to hunt four days a week, NOW DOWN TO THREE !!

Unbelievable. Hell, next year I guess it'll be two days.

I called Houston Havens. the reason being: More man days crackelation? Better hunt quality, and complainers on day two upset that the sports on day one killed all the ducks. Hell I'm complaining that I have even less chances of any hunt, good or bad.

Dang, I just want to hunt. 60 day season, now down to what? 21 days for these areas?

Scott Baker - - - - - - HELP!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

No wonder I spend more time in Arkansas and elsewhere favorite WMA.

I thing I'm going to squirrel hunt, if ducks get in the way too bad. :wink:

Rant over.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Re: Clipped a Hunting Day from Your Favorite WMA's

Postby LODI QUACKER » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Just as bad as the democrats!! They will chip away while you are not looking and suddenly you cant go at all without asking for permission!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:22 pm

I hate having to ask permission for things and hate to learn this news.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:50 pm

Sky busters sittin on buckets on levees must have stopped duck usage so the extra day falls into the "Mossouri Management Scheme" Impeach Sam Poles!!!! Talkin about turning a place into a refuge... :lol:
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:16 am

and if its a really good spot, they will turn it into a premium WMA where you have to draw and pay $300.00
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:50 am

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:02 am

I have to admit that I thought the draw system was a pretty good idea, in theory, when it came into being. Having had to experience it a little and observe it a lot (some of which from listening to you guys), I now think it is yet another government over-step.

This is how it works:
- The State purchases land with our tax dollars;
- they maintain said land with our tax dollars and some farm lease income;
- they regulate who can hunt the land we all own;
- they seem to be intentionally making it more frustrating to even get drawn;
- they claim to be pro-hunter, but the backbone of hunting is not guys in expensive camps...it is public land hunters...and public land hunters are now preventing from that opportunity.

It will not change. The Wildlife Commission is comprised of a bunch of private land rich guys that could give a rip about the common man.

It is a shame, but it will not change.
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:58 am

I haven't looked at the dates available to "hunt" because I just don't care about this state's public land "resource" anymore. They win.

Having said all that, I tried, tried, tried to warn all you know-it-alls that have hunted since moby dick was a minnow what was coming if you insisted on being spoon fed by the government. well, i hope you enjoy the dish.

gator
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 am

dubmckay

Postby dubmckay » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Nowadays, I don't have the opportunities to hunt as much as I did 10-15 years ago. I have to make the best out of every opportunity that I get, so the quality (and harvest) of the hunt means a tremendous amount to me, especially now that I begin to take a younger generation hunting. Outside of a couple wood duck sloughs that I have access to around the house- I don't have any private property that I can hunt, nor do I have the money to buy or join a high dollar (or low dollar) duck camp. I don't know what goes on in the surrounding states, but I feel very fortunate to have access to some public opportunities to hunt row crop/moist soil habitat. It seems to me that the public opportunities have gotten more crowded over the past few years, and with the increased number in hunters has come an increased amount of pressure on the ducks. I don't keep records, but I do take pictures- and it's obvious that the quality/quantity of my harvest on public lands has dropped off significantly the last two years. I would imagine that someone keeps all the little cards that we fill out and keeps up with number of ducks harvested per number of hunts, and maybe he/she has seen a trend. Hopefully by clipping a day from the week, we will see an increase in the quality of the hunts.

It would make it a lot easier to jump in the truck early in the morning to head to the Delta knowing you have a great chance of a high quality hunt.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:33 pm

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Not sure this is proper now.....2007 post
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30979&p=274113&hilit=Draw+hunt#p274113
I just wish back then a guy named Dawn Milla hunted that place, when real concern was needed this board did not step up....later in 2 other instances, one of a WMA and a illegal "refuge", DM did the deal. Certainly a man among men around here and I'm proud and regret my lil emails were the only thing I did too support his great efforts. What will become of the area when this man has left the fight?
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:37 pm

YEP!!!

We all need to stand up when something is going on in this state. Whether it affects us directly or not.

We need a MS public land Hunting Association, action committee, coalition whatever you want to call it. We need ONE strong voice for the hunters and fishermen of the state. We cant trust the people making the decisions and they need to be watched closely!

Maybe we already have one of some sorts that I dont know about. But for now and future generations we need to keep a real close watch.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Oops! Double post.
Last edited by Don Miller on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:36 pm

"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”