Ask DS - I love my In-Laws, but...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Ask DS - I love my In-Laws, but...

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:10 am

...my Mother In Law has gotten my daughter scared to death of our dogs. My MIL has a real phobia about dogs of all kinds and sizes. She always has. And I almost got my little angel to where she will like the dogs, if only when there is a fence between her and them. But since this time change, she has gotten scared to death of both of them. If the Lap-yapper gets too close, she screams and cries, and forget about being calm if the big black Lab comes by.

Any suggestions? Both dogs love her and would do anything for her. Personally, I would love for her to be able to play with them once she gets a little bigger (she's almost 2 now). And I'd really love to correct this now, while the In-Laws are back in China.

HEEEEEELLLLLLPPP!!!
Nobody owes you anything.
Sea-Donkey
Veteran

Re: Ask DS - I love my In-Laws, but...

Postby Sea-Donkey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Back in China?

Tell MIL to put a sock in it?

My mother dislikes all dogs and my daughters know it but could care less so I'd be curious how this woman has such a strong influence.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm

FWIW, I am my In-Laws sponsor. That means I am responsible for them when they are in the US. Since our baby was born until last week, the In-Laws have lived at my house, helping to care for the baby. Soooo, to say the least, there have been a lot of change in my family's life of late.

Any other suggestions?
Nobody owes you anything.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:26 pm

two years from now your daughter and the dogs will have a great relationship...until then, do as your mother n law request. Unlike your mother n law, your dog will understand.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Don't force it. it will happen naturally. Continue to do what you have been doing. Your MIL will not always be there. Your daughter will grow out of this fear............maybe..........unless she got the dog phobia gene from said MIL. IF so, probably nothing you can personally do.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Wish I could sponsor my MIL, that psycho hag would never come to my house again.....as for babygirl, she'll grow out of it hopefully

Return to “General Discussion Forum”