help me pick a Zero turn mower

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Re: help me pick a Zero turn mower

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 pm

They can cut down on time tremendously if you are cutting a big area. Big difference in spending 4-5 hours on a regular mower and 1 to 1.5 on a good zero turn. I can't justify spending that much my yard is only a little less than an acre and I have a used troybilt I bought from in laws for $200
Deltaduk
Veteran

Postby Deltaduk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Well buckshot, get to cutting the leaves and pine needles. If you need it then get you a good one. Hope it serves you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:07 am

I bought the Hustler Raptor SD - 54" with the mulch kit.

after comparing it and the Exmark Pioneer E - series side by side. the raptor was the best choice in quality and the best price.

still a lot of $$$$ for a lawn mower.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
quakwacker
Duck South Addict

Postby quakwacker » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 am

I'll also say this, my neighbor bought a Kubota 48" this summer and he loves it. These commercial grade zero turns are all good quality IMO. I looked at just about every brand when I was looking for mine. I went with the exmark because I wanted to buy local and if something does happen to it then I am 10 minutes away from the dealer and mechanic.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 am

I worry about their weight. I see a lot of pretty yards with nice furrows on about 5-ft spacing nowadays.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:25 am

Stang they are heavy especially in the back end. I don't mow when really wet because they'll get stuck very easily. They will also slide sideways on a wet bank - have seen many a ZT slid into a pond.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:54 am

Don't cut your grass on the same pattern of every time. That will solve the furrow issue.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:29 am

my lawn if firm - it won't rut.

I ended up buying the Hustler Raptor SD 54"

I think it was a much better buy than the Exmark Pioneer E Series

Especially after comparing them sitting side by side.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Hustler makes a good mower
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:35 pm

It's pretty much like buying a tractor... get the biggest you can afford, especially if you value your time. I cut 5 acres of grass, I bought a 60'' exmark. It takes me about 3 hours... now I could have bought a 46'' or 52'' for a couple thousand less but then my seat time increases...

I have about 200 hours on this mower.. I do routine maintenance every 50 hours and rotate a set of sharp blades. Grass cuttin' machine.

Dead
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:52 pm

I bought a 54" Gravely and love it. I actually enjoy getting on it and cutting grass. My yard is about 2.5 acres and it takes about 1.5 hours (this includes picking up soccer and baseballs etc). I cut my mothers yard also which is about an acre and it takes as much time as my yard due to all the bushes I have to go around. Both yards are flat so it rides great. I've read where zero turns and hills don't agree but I don't have experience there.
Last edited by peewee on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peewee
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 am

Just bought a gravely myself at the recommendation of members on the forum. Been really pleased so far with it
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Caveman
Regular

Postby Caveman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 pm

I just sold a Cub Cadet rider that was 8 years old with 228 hours and replaced it with an Exmark 48" Pioneer S. I was starting to have to work on the Cadet a lot. The zero turn cut my mow time in half, and when it discharges the clippings they are dust. NO MORE RAKING!!!! I was told that after doing the initial 10 hour break in service it would only need it every 100 hours. That will take me 3 years on my 1 acre yard. And, the 4 year warranty doesn't start till April 1 of the next year if you buy them in the fall. Tickled pink with Exmark so far.
IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Buck, I bought a Raptor last spring, it has been a great mower. I went with the 22 horse, 42" deck. I have had zero problems thus far. For the money, it was the best deal/value for what my yard demands.
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:27 am

I bought a Badboy 54 xt. I have had 0 problems and can mow at 6 mph Around 5500 with tax but very pleased so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
Crappie Logic Jigs Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff

Return to “General Discussion Forum”