Fusion decoys

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Fusion decoys

Postby Wingman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:47 pm

Have yall tried the inflatable decoys with the molded heads from Cherokee?

I'm looking for a run and gun setup I can tote in easily.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Re: Fusion decoys

Postby 4dawgma » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Where'd who go?
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

Put about 200 of them out when they 1st came out. Fusions weren't out yet. They are pretty good. Yes they are inflatable, yes they pack well, and they have a sand base. They aren't as lite as you think, but they are not bad either. The fusions look good, and you can usually find them on sale. Having 200 out sucked, but running and gunning ;) I loved using them while I was in MS. They catch the wind well also, great in the timber.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:23 am

ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:24 am

had several dozen that I was using. worked great, and moved good with just a little wind. as mentioned not as light as you would think but still work good for run and gun.
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:23 pm

I have about a dozen. As said, not as light as you'd expect. But they fit in a big backpack. The motion is great with a little wind. One tip, find a small manual pump. If you blow them up by mouth, the hot air cools and the decoys sag. Also a good way to pick up giardia.
Never assume.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:57 am

giardia? leave it to an albanian
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Where'd who go?
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Hey, may be a nasty thought. But it just might save someone from a week of wicked grief.
Never assume.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:03 am

Rob, I have killed a pile of birds over these decoys- in the dozens.

They are packable. I can pack 2 dozen in a Kelty backpack. However like the others have said, they are not that light. The weighted bottoms along with standard decoys weights make a dozen of the fusions far heavier than a dozen standard plastic decoys with water keels. I solved this problem by weighting them down with 3/4 oz. bank sinkers (the pyramid kind that guarantee 100% success rates at getting you hung up in rip rap while catfishing spillways). I never had any blow off on me with these.

They move great with the wind, but I have found that water keel decoys move just about as well.

After a couple years of subfreezing temperatures the seams become brittle and start to leak. I imagine a little preventative maintenance would solve this problem, but I have better things to do. I am a problem solver because I tend to address problems as they arise- usually with psychologically-devastating failure.

We won't discuss the impact effects of high velocity steel shot. Use your imagination.

The fusion decoys I had were limited in their options on where to roll up the decoy line and weights. I initially used large gang rig clips, and then eventually solved the weight and rigging/winding up issues completely by gang rigging all of them on separate jerk strings.

Someone mentioned giardia. Thank you. After all these years I thought IBS was a seasonal syndrome due to the excitement of the hunt, honey buns rotisseried on the dash via defrost and gallons of cheap coffee.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 am

I know they high and Im not a big fan of them but the drake wind riders without the keels have been the best looking lightest carrying decoy I found to do the walkin holes. That's just my 2c though. It don't mean much to some.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 pm

Rob,

Years ago I had some feather flex decoys
Don't remember much about'em except they
We're extremely light. I hauled'em in a black
Trash bag.. Until mom threw them away with
The trash. That's how light they were . She thought
It was a bag of trash .
Don't even know if they make'em anymore
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
hunter4life
Regular

Postby hunter4life » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:53 pm

I have a few fusion left. They work well, and as everyone else has said they are heavier than you think.

I got a dozen of these http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-BMC12D. Banded mallard company...
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:37 pm

When does duck season open?
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:34 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”