Changing from iphone to Android

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Changing from iphone to Android

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:26 am

I am interested in getting away form the apple platform and changing to something else.

any thoughts or naysayers ?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Changing from iphone to Android

Postby cwink » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:54 am

My wife made the switch a few years back.. On the latest upgrade she was talking about going back to an iPhone, but in the end stayed with the Samsung. I wish that Samsung had stayed with the removable battery and sd card option that is in the Galaxy 4. It is nice to be able to save pics to an sd card and then take that card with you to your new phone and buy an additional battery for backup.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:59 am

Never used an apple but android has everything I could want. Many developers are making apps for both platforms so there are fewer and fewer platform specific apps these days.

With android it is nice to be able to treat the phone as a big SD card. Plug it in to your computer and move whatever you want in and out of it without the need of itunes or anything else.

Check the phone you are getting. Some droids have a micro SD slot (Samsung G5) and some dont (G6).
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 am

I've got a Samsung Alpha. If I was going to go the Samsung route, that's what I'd go with for 2 reasons: (1) The screen isn't 1.5 miles wide (phones are getting ridiculous with this) and (2) it's housing is aluminum instead of plastic.

If I was going with another brand, I'd probably consider getting a Windows phone or checking to see what Google is making. Again, I don't want a 6 inch screen. I prefer a small phone plus a tablet.

As an aside, when I got my Samsung Alpha, they had a promo going on where I got a Samsung Tab S for $10. It required a 2 year data plan for $10/month, but I wanted that anyways. Very useful for checking game cameras ;)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:06 am

samsung active 6 here and very happy. waterproof and don't need a cases is so nice
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:34 am

Tried it. I mean, really tried. I hate Apple's stupid obstacles to connectivity and expandability, so I got a Motorola Atrix phone, which was a good piece of gear although not as well engineered as the iPhone. I was able to customize everything and use SD cards and such (which matters to me because I'm an engineer/techie person), and I purely hated it because it seemed to take 3 steps to do every simple task on the Android. Went back to iphone and stayed.

If you had never used an iPhone, then you'd be totally happy with an android system.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:43 pm

Had the original galaxy, s3 and now s5. Each phone has gotten better and better. The removable battery and sd card is great. I keep a spare battery in my wife's purse for longer trips or emergencies. The s5 has "super power saving mode" that you can enable that cuts the phone down to the basic programs and allows for extended running time. I've got more gigs on the phone + sd card than I may could ever fill. Sd card gets full, pop in another. Moving pictures and files from phone to computer or vice versa is a snap to. And the charger is the standard mini usb charger that many other devices .
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:19 pm

I am NOT an Apple fanboy. I have an iPhone and a Nexus Android tablet. I echo the sentiments above that things just take longer to do, it seems to me, on the Droid. If I had never owned an iPhone, it's probably be just fine.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:50 pm

wHAT DOES IT TAKE LONGER TO DO?

I can tell my phone to call text navigate or search with my voice from across the room. I dont get it.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:35 am

If I didn't have a work paid iPhone I would use an android simply because you can write and side load your own apps and tweaks once the phone/device is rooted. From a techie standpoint the Android surpasses the iPhone greatly.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:34 am

The last comment about "for a techie" is key: for so many technical reasons, the android is superior. Android all the way. Apple is $*&*.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:02 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:21 am

Well if you're not a techie you might have issues with the droid.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:03 am

I have an Iphone 6 and hate it. The phone is nice enough but the interface with Itunes has always sucked to me. Wife and 3 of the kids have the 6 as well and love it. To each his own I guess.

If a Samsung or Android doesn't have an SD slot wouldn't the computer just recognize the phone as an external drive and let you do anything you wanted just like an SD card?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”