MGCCC / MSU Engineering program?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jkmjr
Regular

MGCCC / MSU Engineering program?

Postby jkmjr » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:23 pm

I was hoping to get some opinions. I think this is brand new so there may not be anyone with any info. It seems that MGCCC will be offering a B.S. Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering from MSU. The first two years are your typical pre-requisites from MGCCC and the second two years are MSU classes. The instructors will be from MSU but the classes will be in Gautier at MGCCC. The degree will be from MSU. My son is leaning towards engineering and may pick mech. or elec. He has spent some time in Starkville and really does not care for the town. My BIL hated Starkville. This is not a dig on Starkville, but my son would be much happier on the gulf coast. What do you guys think?
Odis
Veteran

Re: MGCCC / MSU Engineering program?

Postby Odis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:30 pm

I don't know if this is any help or not but my son is a freshman at State and majoring in engineering, he's been too busy trying to keep up (at least that's what he's telling us) to worry about where he is, calculus and chemistry are kicking his butt, when I was in school (at State) one of my best friends and roommate majored in electrical, same story, he was so busy just trying to keep up that it wouldn't have mattered where he was, can't tell you the number of times I came back to the apt. on a weekend night at 2-3 in the morning and he'd still be up studying, guess that's why he's 52 years old and not too far from retirement, he works a 4 day, 40 hour week for the government and has done very well
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:47 am

Very good point. I am worried about him struggling when he hits those more complex courses. He has never had to study in high school and has had the highest math average in his class since jr. high. Math has always "CLICKED" for him, but I keep warning him he is going to get his ass kicked in college. We will see!
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 am

He is looking at two great fields. I loved my time in Starkville but any free time I had was spent on the refuge and surrounding forest. I think it's great they are offering the courses on the coast. He could always try it and see if he needs to move up there he could. The only problem with that is if he grades get too far behind his GPA may not look favorable to some employers. One of my best friends was similar to what you described. He was in top 10 in his class at Warren Central and thrived in math. Majored in Mech Engineering and it kicked his butt. He dropped out and didn't finish college.

My advice if he decides to stay on the coast is to look at what type of support labs are available. The math lab at state really helped me. Remember the majority of instructors don't have time or don't care to go back and explain a whole lot. You either get it or you don't. If the lab on campus only supports the basic math up to calculus (which I suspect since it's a community college) I would defiantly move to Starkvegas.
Peewee
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:39 am

A lot of excellent points and truths have been previously mentioned. I am an old 50 ish yr old civil major from MSU. Math came easy in high school, never carried a single book home in high school and made good grades...........thought i could handle engineering with no problem...........they sent me home with my tail tucked between my legs.
The problem that most youngsters entering college dont understand is that its their first REAL JOB. I mean that its the first real job that matters, that you should concentrate on and try to be excellent in. Once i went home and slaved on the farm with the rest of the minimum wage workers with bleak outlooks for future advancement...........well if figured it out and went back to MSU to dive into my new real job again.
Engineering students dont play hacky sack or throw frisbees (do they still make those)on the drill field, they work by studying and grinding for 18 hrs a day until the finish line is crossed. Tell your son that Calc I-IV,Differential Equations,Physics I-III,Chem I-II.................that the easy math. It gets serious after that.
Let him go where he is comfortable with his surroundings, he will be able to concentrate on school with less stress.
Looking back now, it was probably one of the funnest jobs i have had. If i had started out correctly, it would have been the easiest job also. There arent many college majors that have almost 100% job placement.
Good luck to him.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
curlytail
Veteran

Postby curlytail » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 am

My son was like the others that have been described, great grades, math came easy... all to say, he realized real quick at MSU he was not as smart as he thought he was. He graduated 2 years ago with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. As I type this, he is in Singapore with work and has traveled the world with his job. The route he took was the coop program. Not sure if the MGCCC will offer that program or not. It provided him with the ability to get some valuable work experience and not get "burned out" with just school. He also had a job coming out of school in his major, a feature a lot of his friends did not have.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 am

SHERMANATOR
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 am

Everybody needs to leave home for a while.
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:03 am

I graduated mechanical engineering back in '05. I would recommend doing the first two years at a CC and then going to Starkville. I went to Hinds my first two years and it worked out well.

He will likely be missing out on too many opportunities staying at MGCCC. Study groups are invaluable; find a good core group of fellow students and stick with them. The selection will be better in Starkville making it easier to weed out the DAs or dead weights. The professors are available for questions 5 days a week, just a quick walk or a couple flights of stairs from whereever he is studying. Profs will likely travel to MGCCC just for class days or the classes will be online. Good luck getting clear answers to homework questions through email or on the phone. Mechanical engineering has a broad range of industries and career opportunities available. Student organizations like ASME and SAE will introduce him to those opportunities. There will be career fairs on campus. MGCCC will not have near the industry participation at its career fair as on the Starkville campus. I doubt the same labs will be available outside of Starkville. The same classes will probably not be offered at both locations, especially the electives from which he will have to choose.

As others have said, he will not have time for anything else if he plans on doing well. Speaking of frisbees, I can recall many a nights studying in the basement of Carpenter and hearing a thud on the window....only to look up and see if was a stray frisbee from a group of business majors on the drill field...

My advice would be to treat it like an 8-5 job and study on campus. If a homework question comes up, he will be just a quick walk from the prof with the answer. Of course, the rest of the night is then spent correcting aforementioned homework.

Nobody skates through engineering school. Unless you are KB7722, that guy rode the gravy train through Starkville on biscuit wheels...
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Rowdy brings up a HUGE point -- how are career fairs, campus interviews, interfaces with hiring companies thru club meetings, etc., handled at MGCC? I finished, twice, in ChemE and there weren't many weeks that a company wasn't sending recruiters and sponsoring events. On campus interviews and career fairs are how I got internships and my first job.

I have worked with good and bad engineers from schools all over the country (and world), from SWAC to Ivy League. I've become very convicted in the belief that the school doesn't really dictate how good or productive somebody will be. What a good school DOES DO better than a lesser one is provide ample contact with industry. MSU engineering excels at this. In other words, the MSU diploma will be nice, but less so if he is not in a location to take advantage of the connections they make for their juniors and seniors on campus.

With that said, yeah, for some reason folks from the coast stuck out like a sore thumb in Starkville. Never could quite put my finger on it. Not in a bad way, just a random observation.
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Lots of very good info. The comments about the networking, study groups, co-ops, and employers on campus seems to be a game changer. I really appreciate the comments.
SME
Veteran

Postby SME » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi all,

All very good points!

I am Student Life Coordinator at the MGCCC Jackson County Campus, where they are phasing in the Engineering agreement with Mississippi State.

I can tell you both institutions are being very careful to ensure that the rigor expected in engineering will be in place for both of these degrees. State is actually going through the accreditation review process for one of the involved programs right now (I don't remember which), and they are being very particular to make sure all expected standards are upheld. The quality of pre-req classes at MGCCC are of the highest standards as well. MGCCC does plan to provide transportation to Career Fairs, etc. that are held in Starkville and can't be replicated here.

PM me if you need contact information for the counselor here at MGCCC who is working with interested students.

Sonya
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:55 pm

^^^^^ Great post! Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”