Initiative 42

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Initiative 42

Postby cwink » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:38 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:56 pm

D1
Duck South Addict

Postby D1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Several good points made here, mostly against 42. As stated, lots of waste in the public school districts from Supers office to bus drivers (at least the one I work in for sure). The "GOOD OLE BOY" system is alive and well in the district I work for, and I am sure MOST if not ALL in the state. With politics like that, funding from ANY initiative will NEVER make to the kids they are saying the money is for. Allow me explain, as long as school districts are going "OUTSIDE" the district to hire in a "GOOD OLE BOY" to the top position of a department(lets say 100 k) when someone retires (lets say 90 k). That 10 k has to come from somewhere, right? Any guesses where??? DING, DING, DING we have a winner, funding from M.A.E.P. or wherever they want to get it from, but bottom line its NOT getting to the kids.

THAT'S WHY I AM VOTING NO ON 42

I saw mention of ALL the students being GIVEN a laptop/Ipad, maybe in the district you live in, but not in the district I work for. The district I work does not have enough books for kids to take books home to do homework.

I saw the common core issue come up while reading this.

While moving text books to a new school that was being opened, from several old schools the students were being transferred from (couldn't afford to buy new books for buying new desks instead of getting them from the warehouse that we store them in when we don't have behinds to put in them at the school they were taken out of). I noticed several text books that would be titled something like "(WHATEVER SUBJECT) MISSISSIPPI EDITION." This leaves me with one question; WHY ARE ALL STATES NOT ON COMMON GROUND? With the title of the books being as such, this leaves me to believe TN, AL, LA etc. all have different books.

I know I'm just a redneck from south MS. with a degree in "STUPID", however COMMON means one thing, SAME, ALIKE, NO DIFFERENCE, or whatever word you want to use to say it, but if the Federal Government was or Education system to be COMMON, I should be able to go to ANY school in the Country, pick up Third grade reading book. turn to page 5 and it read JOHNNY KICKED THE BALL OVER THE FENCE. Maybe I'm wrong, or the Government has a different idea of what COMMON means.
Thanks
Bruce

dogs are only as good as their trainers,and trainers are only as good as their dogs

Romans 14:11
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Please take 15 minutes to watch this. 42 is just a power grab by the liberals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZrHZS0XkU
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:21 am

IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:10 pm

A lot of confusion concerning I42, mainly due to a lot of political posturing on both sides. Below are the facts, I don't have all of the facts, but these are the ones I have "validated," if you can call it that, thru our state legislators....

1) MAEP was voted in years ago, and has never been fully funded per the mathematical formula. They know exactly how much money should go to each district each year. The money goes to district's SUPERINTENDENT and is disbursed from there, and must be spent in the classroom. The easiest way to fix a problem would be to vote out the Superintendent.
2) The change in language, making the "State" responsible for providing adequate funding to public education, is how you end up in front of a Judge. There are 4 Chancery judges in Hinds county, the docket is determined by computer, 2 white, 2 black, 2 women.
3) The language allows for the state to be sued, and when you sue the state, you do so in Hinds county. Whatever decision is rendered is guaranteed to be appealed, and the Supreme Court will sort it out.
4) The law in place calls for 25% of surplus to be spent on MAEP first, if it is not statutorily funded. There's around 600 million in the rainy day fund right now.
5) If it passes, an underfunded school district will be able to sue the state, and the judge will tell the legislature to follow their own laws. That's where the Judges come in, they don't unilaterally decide what goes where, they look at the formula, and hold the legislature accountable. The Supremes will have the final say.
6) I may have left some stuff out, and it's too late to matter anyway...I hope this helped.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Peewee
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Food for thought:

The same people that are pouring cash into MS to support Initiative 42 "For the Children" would have wholeheartedly supported aborting those children if the mother had wanted to do so. Think about it.
IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Peewee:
1. To my understanding, there are school districts that have never received full funding under the formula.
2. "They," being the legislators. They know how much money, based on their model, should go to each individual district.
3. The Supreme Court has already taken up the issue, and ruled against the lady from Oxford. The COA does not decide which cases it hears, the Supreme Court receives all cases and decides which ones the COA will hear. The Justices I speak with each week, in my opinion, would not send this issue to the MS COA.
4. Correct, it is around 3% of the total budget I think. More or less was just saying that there is a stipulation that MAEP must receive money out of the surplus if underfunded.
5. I'm not arguing. Just trying to shed light on OP's questions. I'm not familiar with the Clean Water Rule or its origins. MAEP is already a law. The Legislature has already written it. The Judiciary will interpret it, following the canons of statutory construction, as they do for all others.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:36 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:39 pm

42A all the way!
Also vote against Delbert!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:52 pm

My wife said someone tried to vote using her name today. Now we get to go through the fun process of trying to find out if someone has stolen her identity.

Mother scratcher
Last edited by Wildfowler on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:57 pm

It's been fun seeing all the politicians squirm the past couple months thinking about the possibility of keeping a promise.

http://youtu.be/W5-J2cyDkRs
3spop
Veteran

Postby 3spop » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:02 pm

In #5 you say,* if it passes a judge will tell the legislature to follow their own laws.* How do you know that? That's not on the ballot I voted against today. It just said "adequate and efficient". It never mentioned MAEP one time. Seems to me like the intentionally vague language would allow lawyers to argue all day long about what adequate and efficient means if it passes. Then the judge would render his decision on what those 2 words mean.
IttaBenaKilla
Veteran

Postby IttaBenaKilla » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”