Initiative 42

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Re: Initiative 42

Postby rjohnson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Like someone said above need to consolidate the administration, statewide bidding, and bulk buy along with standardization to make bulk buying more powerful. At one unnamed elementary school in Rankin Co. I went into at least 10 different classrooms before school started while helping teachers move heavy stuff (yeah wife suckered me into it) and in all of those classrooms every single one of them had a different HP laserjet printer. So that is at least 10 different varieties of toner to buy. We preach standardization to our clients to save them money why do school districts not require it???? They need to standardize and consolidate a crap ton of waste from janitorial to IT to office staff to administration before they come to the taxpayers wanting more money. They do their part first fiscally they will have enough money to fully fund the schools, give teachers a raise, and buy plenty of radio and tv time to brag about doing it. Gotta shed that waste. But that's a pipe dream being a government institution and all.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Just heard on the radio that some judge had read the entire Initiative 42 document, and it does NOT say that the public schools will actually get ANY of the money, ear-marked for education.

IF that's the case, all that money might just go back into the general fund, where the politicians can pillage and plunder our tax money, once again....just saying what I heard.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:18 pm

southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:03 am

Cheap printers and ink/toner is the biggest ripoff. At one point I had a kick butt printer. The toner was $70ish but it'd print forever. Got moved to a room with a broken printer. Was told to buy one out of my funds. $100 HP with 3 color and 1 black cartridge. Altogether the 4 are almost as much as the printer.

Another crazy thing his how we do inventory. Items over a certain price are tagged with a bar code (and 4 or 5 digit number) and are put on the tagged inventory list. You're responsible for every item in your room being there when the year is over. Sometimes IT moves items (monitors, cpu/towers, etc) and you have no idea where they go.

The kicker is, if they buy a computer for $1,500 that will be obsolete in 3-5 years (especially the OS - we still have PCs with Windows XP on them) - they are still listed at a value of $1,500. If you price the same specs on eBay the pc will be worth $250 if you're lucky. Since nobody will buy them at $1,500 - they go to the landfill. They're destroyed and covered. Lots of other eq is like this. No depreciation in value, no mark down, no auction.

They're so crazy about money that they'll have a ticket booth next to the gates to the football game - you buy a ticket, walk 10 feet and give them the ticket to get in. If the number of tickets doesn't match the money after the game, whoever worked the gate is responsible. In our district, certified staff is required to work. At private schools they let parents handle that and they trust them with the money.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:36 am

Good discussion on this via Gallo this am.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:38 pm

We used to have 6 school districts in Bolivar Co. One was the Benoit School District. When you took number of students divided by money in district it was over 19k per student. I don't a lot but I bet there is not a private school in the state with a 19k tuition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
Crappie Logic Jigs Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:42 pm

That was a good show this morning on Gallo.
Scott Baker
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:27 pm

I sunk my boat in Benoit one cold cold Jan day...... back in 95ish.....Fine place.....Fine place like that should have its own Academy..... And WHOEVER picked up my g&h decoys off the side of the highway while we sere collecting all our other chit in the freezing cold can absolutely KISS MY ASHHHHH!!!!
khound22
Veteran

Postby khound22 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:42 am

I'm voting against it. They just put big screen TV's in the cafeteria of my daughter's school but they have to share text books and can't bring them home because they don't have enough books. There are a few other things they (the school) has spent money on that was totally un called for. Looks to me that the money will NOT be spent wisely.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:01 am

^^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^

VOTE NO !!!!!
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:07 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:12 am

Some folks may not be able to do it physically, but I recommend any able body man that can work more than one job if needed, to
come up with the $5k a year it takes to send your kid to private school. One way to send a message to the education empire is to
take your kids away from their indoctrination centers. Unless there is a complete restructuring of our public education in Ms,
I will never let mine go back to public school. If it takes me working 3-4 jobs to pull it off that's what I'll do. My kids are super happy
in private school and they don't have to fight with common core curriculum that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. They pray every
day before class, they say the pledge of allegiance every morning before class. It's just a much better atmosphere all around.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:17 am

Got a survey call last night asking "Can I count on you to vote yes on 42". I told her no, and sh pretty much hung up on me. :D
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 am

donia
Duck South Addict

Initiative 42

Postby donia » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:33 am

^^yup, especially in the Delta with a few exceptions (cleveland & catholic school in g'ville come to mind)

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher....
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”