The Last Shotgun I'm ever Gonna Buy!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

The Last Shotgun I'm ever Gonna Buy!

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Kinda in the market, what would be your dream shotgun? I'm not talkin' a Olympic Class Trap gun, this is more of a down dirty, wing shooting, legacy to the kids, sorta meat gun. I may just be getting old but this damn Nova is starting to kick my adze. Do the stock pads on these wear out or something cause even low brass dove shells bruise me up these days. But GDiddy's A5 I can shoot high brass all day long with no problem. If only I could duck hunt again with it! But alas, here we are, 2015....

AnyWho's, I'd like to preface with a few things before I turn y'all loose.

1. I'm done with synthetic stocks. Nice AA+ walnut is fine by me. If future generations don't appreciate the dents and scratches I put in my shotgun, then maybe they don't need it.

2. 20 or 12? I'm really on the fence here. I had a Franchi AL 48 in 20 for a while, killed many a dove in it's day. Wish I hadn't traded for that AR. Can the 20 gauge be a consistent duck killer?

3. Pump vs auto. Pretty much decided here (but willing to argue), I'm done with "hardcore" hunting and since I shouldn't need my shotgun gun to double as a boat paddle, I'd like to go auto here.

4. Benelli vs ? - I've gotten used to their logic as far disassembly and such and really like the quality. Is there any thing better out there? (This is from 10-15 years of abuse on simple killing machine with 14 moving parts and the only thing I've had to replace is a firing pin spring which I replaced with a spring from a stolen pen from an un-named bank in Greenwood seven years ago and still going strong.)

Well, I guess that's all I can think of now. Anything else you can think of in a meat gun? Easy to clean, durable and elegant in her ways. That's what I'm looking for. What do you shoot?
Where'd who go?
SB
Duck South Addict

Re: The Last Shotgun I'm ever Gonna Buy!

Postby SB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Wingmaster 870. Pick your gauge, from 28-12.
Scott Baker
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:24 pm

You mean there are other shotguns besides 870's? I'm a Special Purpose kinda guy.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:53 am

A 20ga will kill'em all day long.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:40 am

I'm also an 870 guy but I'm kinda old and like simplicity.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
khound22
Veteran

Postby khound22 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:13 am

Many opinions out there. Here's mine. I bought a Benelli SBE in 2000 or 2001. It's had 3.5" magnums shot through it for 15 years now. Also many cases of dove loads. It has performed flawlessly. I couldn't ask for anything more in a shotgun...
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 am

Charles Daly 2 3/4. Don Miller has a extra barrel if you need one.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:29 am

If his Nova is kicking the crap out of him now, an 870 won't be any different. Get you an automatic, gas or inertia either one will definitely be less felt recoil. I'm partial to my Benelli SBE. Been shooting it for 20 years now.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:41 am

Beretta. New or old auto 5
Nuker

Postby Nuker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 am

I was the kind of guy that loved/admired/wanted the immaculate wood grain.......good and shinny..........high dollar.......but

I have my fathers 870......Its, scratched, a lil of the bluing is worn off, has stories all over it. You can have all of my guns except this one. Love what it means and more inportantly the game it has taken to feed the family. Squirrel, rabbit, deer, fowl of all kinds, even coons and possum in tough times. I used it as a kid to shoot snakes, dillers, turtles, crows, blue jays, mocking birds at 2am......

I vote 870
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:07 am

I'm really happy with my Beretta Outlander but that being said, were I shopping for my "end of days" gun, it'd be something with a satin walnut stock, good checkering but no fancy foo-foo inlays etc. Either an A400 or an O/U, and I just might go 20.

I like my 870; right now it's in the corner of the garage with muddy dog footprints etc. on it from training day last weekend. I might hose it off in a couple days.... But the hard fact is I don't shoot as well with it.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:17 am

If you don't want a 31/2 I would go with the new ethos, Montefeltro, or legacy. Could always do an SBE 2 in wood.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:24 am

Last shotgun ever? I'd get an O/U vs anything else. Added weight will reduce kick, there are 3.5in chambered guns out there (like one below) that will cover all the game you want to shoot with it from dove to geese to turkeys. And it is going to retain more value. And that 3rd shot is usually wasted anyway.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/917013214/BROWNING-CITORI-12GA-28-BARREL.htm
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 am

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if it's a over/under in 3 1/2 keep recoil in mind, I've got a Batetta onyx with 3 1/2 chambers and it kicks like a mule, to the point that I only shoot 3's or 2-3/4's out of it, first time I shot it was with a turkey load,as soon as it went off, all that went through my mind was "what have you done", it's fine as long as you don't shoot 3-1/2's though
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:42 am

Nobody owes you anything.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”