gun registration

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

gun registration

Postby merlebo05 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:40 am

is there a website out there that you can type in the serial number of a gun and it show who the gun is registered to?
ufgators68
Veteran

Re: gun registration

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:45 am

merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:50 am

forgive my ignorance so when you buy a gun new from a dealer and you do all the paperwork the serial number attached to that gun is not included in that paperwork?
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:00 am

edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:22 am

are you trying to check to see if a gun may be stolen or something? if so the local police can run a check to make sure that serial doesn't show up on any reports. Outside of that thank god there isn't a widespread "known" resource to acquire that info otherwise the anti gun nuts would have a field day.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:55 am

No gun registry.. If you buy a gun from me (a FFL dealer) you fill out the paperwork and then I run the background check. The only thing on the background check is Your name, place and date of birth, gun type (Longgun, handgun, other) and SSN (which is optional). Then I complete the paperwork that includes the Make, Model and serial number of the gun and file it away for 20 years.. If you have a Firearms Permit then there is no background check. Just filed paperwork on site..

If a gun turns up in a crime, the law enforcement calls the Manufacturer of the gun and starts the trace there, Smith & Wesson sent it to Davidson's Distributer, who sent it to CWINK who sold it to John Doe..

There is no gun registration.

There are some rules for multiple handgun purchases but that is about it..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:29 am

I understand the whole there isn't a gun registry...but that scenario you just laid out Cwink, kinda resembles a registry.

"Police" want to know about a certain gun(s) so they call manufacturer, they know who they sold it to, then they know whoe they sold it to, so essentially the "police" can know who has what guns and how many, assuming they were purchased legally.

So 20 years after someone purchases a gun from you are you going to destroy all the paperwork?
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:41 pm

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm

I just don't trust big brother, so I buy used LNIB.
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm

I just don't trust big brother, so I buy used LNIB.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Most of my guns were purchased new by me. Guess I need a "throw away" gun or two. If anyone ever comes knocking on my door to confiscate them and I tell them that I sold "those" guns at the last gun show. When I tell them I buy and sell guns all the time, I suppose I'll have to give them "something"?

Haha
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:19 pm

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm

thanks CWINK you answered my questions!! I actually found a gun at my brother in laws that I am 99% sure is mine that I could have left over there from several years back and had just forgotten about the gun.. I was wanting to see if I could run the serial number on the gun and see who it came back to.. Its really no big deal, not anything of any significant value just thought it would ease my mind
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:04 am

-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”