Safe Room

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Safe Room

Postby jtdumallard » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 pm

I am in the process of building a house and am trying to incorporate a "Safe Room" for the family during bad weather. For those of you that have them, what are yours constructed of and what is the going rate for one? Thinking mine will double as a food pantry with a steel door. Not sure if I will go with concrete walls and ceiling or have a welder fabricate one for me.

Any options and pictures that you may have will be helpful.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Re: Safe Room

Postby novacaine » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:26 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:37 pm

got a buddy here that had a thick concrete room built onto garage (first thing constructed due to concrete pour and looked like a dorm sized room square sticking up) ...accessible through the mud room. it doubles as a gun safe. i can get the specifics if you want. not sure when it was poured, with foundation or how long after if it was after.

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher....
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:15 pm

We did our master closet. ICF forms with a 6" solid concrete core and a solid concrete top. I did my own, so not sure of cost. Prob $10k if you had it done.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:31 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:42 am

You can find specs and plans for safe room construction on FEMA's website.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:20 am

I do not have one but have seen the one mentioned designed to fit in your garage slab. There is a member on here that had one installed post construction. It looks like like a cross between a duck pit and a grease pit from an oil change place. low profile and its narrow enough that it fits between the wheel wells of a vehicle. We have discussed it and that would be what we do for a storm shelter. As far as a safe room I have no idea.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 am

jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:44 pm

I called a company that installs the ones in the garage and its not any cheaper to install them prior to slab poured or after. Its the same cost and runs about 5500-6500 depending on the size. This may be the route that I decide to go because the "safe rooms" fabricated of either solid steel or concrete filled blocks look to be a good bit more expensive.

Quorted cost:

In Ground/Garage Slab (no price difference between pre or post slab):
Large - (Outside dimensions: 40"x7'x54") - $5400 delivered and installed
Ex-Large - (Outside dimensions: 64"x7'x60") - $6200 delivered and installed
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
blackhawk0718
Duck South Addict

Postby blackhawk0718 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:18 am

what i did is took an interior room and did 4x4 for studs and then did a hering bone between them and used screws here and the put OSB on the walls then covered it with dry wall and used a exterior metal door. most all of this you can use scraps cause on the 4x4 i used to 2x4 put together. Now i dont know how effective this will be but it has to be better than nothing.
Look out for dem danm COOTS
there every were
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:41 am

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:24 am

I don't know JK. If you pour the top solid and have to form/shore it and place all the rebar in the walls and top it is a pretty good job. I wouldn't do it for a few thousand, but some builders might. I don't do residential work so I don't stay up to date on the cost, but if I did it on the commercial side it would be more in line with what I said.....maybe as low as $7 or 8k.
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:32 am

I definitely here where you are coming from. I would not do it that cheap either if I was not already on site. I had roughly $1500 in extra labor and material so I charged $500. When I am making 30-40k I try not to hit my clients too hard on extras. If it was just a job to build the room I would charge quite a bit more.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:46 am

Ten4
Got Chocolate?
Veteran

Postby Got Chocolate? » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Jtdumallard, not sure what company you called but I have a company located in Tupelo that does both in ground storm shelters and above ground safe rooms. The in grounds are the type they go in the garage below the slab. They are actually less expensive than the above ground safe rooms. The safe rooms are all steel and have to be bolted to concrete. You can pour a free standing slab but most people opt for putting it in the corner of the garage (you sacrifice space this route but it's cheaper). The website is http://supercellshelters.com/
Shoot me a PM if you need more information or if you want to chat about it.
Trey

Return to “General Discussion Forum”